Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Cats, Dogs, Horses

The weather folks were royally wrong about this morning - it's nearly 50 degrees outside, with cloudy skies, but other than a few snowflakes in Nederland, there is no sign of the 6 to 12 inches of snow that was forecast. The kits are haring about like mad, and Gimpy is stuffing himself. I still haven't fiddled with the fonts on the PC - but everything else is A-OK. The low pressure system that was spinning over the area last night caused me to have a tremendous sinus headache, and I was asleep before 8:30. I did watch the season premiere of NCIS, but then I curled up in bed with the kits and shut the world out. I'll soon be on my way to exercise Rosie and Remy....

The Breeders Cup races are coming up on November 6 and 7 at Santa Anita, again split with Friday for the female races and Saturday for the boys. (That still makes me grind my teeth.) The thoroughbred world lost two significant stallions this week, with El Prado dying from an apparent heart attack in his paddock, and Summer Squall being put down due to the infirmities of old age. ... I was horrified to read of the arrest of a second teen-aged boy in connection with the killing and butchering of 19 horses in the Miami-Dade and Broward County areas of Florida. This second young man was paid $500 per horse to hold the halter while another male cut the horse's throat. The horses were then butchered for their meat. And these were horses out in pasture and being boarded at farms; they were not horses that had already been condemned to the knackers. These horses were people's pets and friends and companions, some just turned out to graze overnight! Had it been one of my horses, I would happily cut the throats of any human involved in these sickening deaths. ... And there are now 8 confirmed deaths from Eastern Equine Encephalitis in the state of Virginia. Please be sure that all of your pets/animals/friends/critters are current on their vaccinations!! Will post photos this afternoon.

No comments: