Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cats, Dogs, Horses and Bears

Today is another gorgeous day before a cold front moves in tonight, giving us rain and a high of 50 tomorrow. I walked Suki and Boo 45 minutes after their breakfast, and then walked Remy and Rosie for an hour at 9:30. I purchased my October bus pass on the way home, as well as picking up some deli meats and cheese for a lunch-time sandwich. The kits were ecstatic to have me return home, but are now outside sunning, while I blog. They each had some turkey breast, ham-off-the-bone, and Provolone cheese with me, besides their regular kitty kibble. I slept like a rock last night, and hope to do so tonight while we have our first freeze. Keith just called Riley, the Shar Pei, back inside and both of the kits came running to me. They are good kits. I've read 6 books in the last 4 days, and am ready to start a seventh. I just finished two Philip R. Craig mysteries - he was born and raised outside of Durango on a cattle ranch; he writes his mysteries based on Martha's Vineyard and the Boston area. I'm about to start Do Cats Hear With Their Feet?, and then I'll go on to A Breed Apart. And I need to remember to take my jacket and umbrella with me when I go back to Suki and Boo's this afternoon....

Not much else going on around here - Some rural schools have been closed for a week because half, or more, of the student body is out sick with the flu. We've had two confirmed deaths from Swine flu here in Boulder County, and 8 others throughout the state. ... Cryptoclearance, one of my favorite stallions, died this past week from a heart attack following colic surgery. Clarence was 25. Kona Gold, a retired gelding living at the Kentucky Horse Park Hall of Fame, was put down the day after Clarence died due to an injury he inflicted upon himself in his paddock. Rachel Alexandra is taking a holiday/vacation from racing and has just been moved back to Churchill Downs from Saratoga Springs. ... Oh! And in Vail, a woman walked into her bedroom, and hearing footsteps behind her, thought it was the family dog. It was an eight-foot-tall mama black bear, who brought her three cubs along to visit. The woman threw her bed pillow at the bear, who left her alone in the room. As the bear and her cubs returned to the house three times the next day, DoW tranquilized them and relocated them to the back country. ....

No comments: