Saturday, September 5, 2009

Slept In

Ah... A late, leisurely breakfast of blueberry waffles has been consumed - and I'd love to go right back to bed! The kits were acting suspiciously yesterday afternoon - both sitting and staring at my reading chair while I was working on genealogy, so I checked it out. There was an incredibly hairy, bright yellow caterpillar with multiple black spikes on the corner of the chair... I picked it up with a tissue, and put it out on the grass about 10 feet from the patio edge. A few minutes later, it was back. It returned 4 times, and I finally took it over to some cottonwood trees at the Harvest House. It was an American dagger moth caterpillar, and I wish it well. The red kids (Rosie and Remy) and I had a good, quiet walk yesterday, meeting only two sets of dogs; and the kids behaved very well each time. And, thanks to a 12-year-long Danish study, I can breathe easily again (not that I was ever holding my breath) - it seems that ladies with very thin thighs have more heart problems and sudden deaths than other women. Thank God I don't have to worry about that!!

Today is Rachel A.'s big test racing against the boys - and this weekend, the jockeys in North America and Canada are donating their winnings from 3 days of racing to help three jockeys pay their medical bills - one jock is battling leukemia, one suffered a serious fall and is still in the hospital following surgery, and the third has been paralyzed by a fall. ... A local nut-case here in Colorado put out flyers recruiting "sportsmen" to come and shoot his horses, all 23 of them. He was keeping them on property not zoned for livestock, but the county authorities were willing to let that slide, as long as he "cleaned up" the property somewhat. He was asked to remove piles of trash and several rusted-out and unused vehicles, as well as cut back weeds and brush along the fence lines. He refused to do so, and knowing he would be sentenced to 90 days in jail, asked for people to come and shoot his horses - because he didn't want them "to starve to death at a meat processing plant." The man is in jail, and several horse protection societies have taken the various horses into their care... Now the man says that was his plan all along and he didn't plan to harm his stock. - What an ass! ... Meanwhile, have a super holiday weekend!!!

No comments: