Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Must See (or Must Read)

Last night on Countdown, Keith Olbermann delivered an hour-long Special Comment on the state of our nation's health care. I consider it a must see (or a must read) item. It can be viewed on the internet in streaming video at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/vp/33217642#33217642 Tomorrow, the written transcript will be available, and I'll post that URL as well. Am I afraid of becoming ill or having a catastrophic accident? You bet I am! I receive Social Security Disability payments each month. The "cost" of my Medicare coverage and my prescription coverage is removed from this check before I see it. The check just covers the cost of my apartment rent and utilities, and most of my food. I receive just too much to qualify for food stamps or any other type of assistance, so I do my pet- and house-sitting, genealogy research and history research to augment my income so that I can afford taking care of my two cats and having internet access at home. I don't really want more money from the government; I just would like to have better health care. Since my income is so low, I receive "indigent care" at a clinic, but I must pay $25 for each visit. If something is dreadfully wrong, as when I had pneumonia in May two years ago, I have to go to the Emergency Room. There I was given two prescriptions to get filled, a print-out of what was wrong with me and how to take care of myself, and instructions to see my MD at the indigent clinic in 10 days. Then I was sent home. I never had a follow-up visit, because my MD is booked 2 months in advance, and by the time I could be seen, I had recovered. America needs health care reform!!

Today is a grey, yucky day here in Boulder. It's been lightly raining since before dawn, and the weather people are saying that Boulder might see three inches of snow before sunset, as an Arctic cold front slowly descends over us. The kits were not happy when they saw me load up my overnight bag and place the alarm clock inside it just before I left this morning. I'm currently at Sammie and Tuppurr's house; Sammie is chewing on a rawhide roll and Tupps is complaining that I'm not his usual Mommy. Because of the rain I did not walk the Rs this morning, but I hope to do so tomorrow. Lovey and Banichi stuck to me like glue last night and this morning - they must have known something was up. We're supposed to have snow through Sunday, and I'll keep you apprised of our weather. .... This Saturday, Zenyatta is running in the Lady's Secret Stakes in hopes of winning her 13th straight race. And Mine That Bird will be facing older horses in the Goodwood Stakes on that day. As a Breeder's Cup aside, Goldikova will be returning to defend her title in the Mile (on turf).

No comments: