Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Critters, Reading

My visit with my kits was short but sweet yesterday - Lovey preferred sitting in my lap to eating fresh food in gravy. The Rs had a great time running around with Suki and Boo for 15 minutes at the end of their walk; and little Yoshi was exhausted by the time he and Aiko had finished their one block loop. I wore my knee brace most of yesterday - but was disgusted to find that it was still wet and sweaty this morning... Any one have any ideas about getting it dry? With the neoprene and metal, I can't really toss it in a dryer. I just hung it up on a hook this morning (hoping it will dry) and will try walking the canines without a brace today.
I read Clarissa Dickson Wright's Spilling The Beans yesterday. It's an autobiography - very candid and quite interesting. Clarissa is one half of the Two Fat Ladies BBC cooking show. Her Mom was an Australian heiress, her Dad a brilliant surgeon; she was 21 when she passed her Bar exam. Her mother died, she became an alcoholic, and ran through her entire fortune. Then she started her rise back up through all of her problems. It is really a super book!
It was 17 at sunrise this morning; it's partly cloudy out, but the sun is visible. We're supposed to reach 42 today, and then another storm will blow in and we're expecting snow Wednesday evening and Thursday morning. My current list of heroes includes Bernie and her husband Jim, their daughter Allison, Antonio, and a real estate broker named Delaney. They spent two days using pipes , and finally a jack-hammer, to break up the ice at the barricade between Topaz and Garnet, which they then shoveled away. They broke up a swath of ice that was at least 150 feet square, and, in places, 6 inches thick. Having fallen on the ice earlier, I am extremely indebted to them!!

No comments: