Friday, March 19, 2010

Farewell, Fess Parker

My sister and I had a few 45 rpm records as we grew up and the ones I remember most were made of bright yellow and red and had a Walt Disney label on them. It seems as if I have always known the lyrics of The Ballad of Davey Crockett, as well as those to The Swamp Fox. I remember seeing the Davey Crockett adventures Sunday evenings on the Walt Disney's Wonderful of Color series (where I cheered on Buddy Ebsen, who played Davey's sidekick) and I remember him well as Daniel Boone, even though I adored Ed Ames (who was Dan'l's sidekick). He was tall, soft spoken, and allergic to horses - which I found odd, but it didn't stop him from making great movies like Smokey or any of his other roles. While I realize, logically, that Fess Parker was a superb actor, somehow I feel as if the world is a little less safe now because such a super American hero (even though an actor, playing a role) is no longer with us. Today my Dad would have had his 87th birthday, so I'll salute him, also. And Keith Olbermann's father lost his 6-month fight with surgical complications this past Saturday. Here's to you, Theodore Olbermann, a wonderful architect. You are all sorely missed.
It was raining at 2:20 this morning, but the temperature dropped and the rain turned to snow before 6 a.m. Boulder already has over 2 inches on the ground, and it is falling steadily. I'm to go out to dinner tonight to celebrate Connie's birthday - I guess I'll shower around 3 this afternoon; that will give my hair a chance to be dry before I go out. I'm not walking the Rs today, due to the wet and slippery snow on the ground - but I did remember to grab my snow boots yesterday. I ended up leaving Lovey and Banichi at home - there's no need to upset them and Cloudy and Shady just for my own comfort for a few days. Cloudy demanded to go out this morning, so I finally gave in to her wishes. She went out and sat on the edge of the patio, and got coated with blowing snow before she was ready to come back in. Shady went out and sat on the edge of the picnic table, observed the snow for a minute or two, and then returned inside. While the ground has only 2 inches of snow on it, I can see a good 4 inches sitting on top of the planters and the bird bath in the backyard. And, warning, Sarah!!! As if you didn't know it, this snow is headed your way!! Which reminds me, have you been able to wear your scarlet hat and gloves yet? - Stay warm, my friends...

No comments: