Saturday, March 20, 2010

Snow by the Foot

It's all of 12 degrees outside right now, but the sky is a pristine blue and the sun is causing a dazzling effect on the snow crystals on the ground. We got about 12 inches of snow yesterday, but 3 miles south of here, still in the City of Boulder, they got 24.8 inches of the white stuff. All of the planters and bird baths in the backyard look as if they are wearing white turbans this morning, and I had to smile while looking at the prints of fox paws when I went out to get the newspaper earlier. Cloudy and Shady have been out several times already; but Cloudy was upset with me when I locked the cat door yesterday, after she came back in and left a trail of tiny snow balls throughout the house. Shady would rather not go out into the snow, but Cloudy loves to play in it - sounds like Lovey and Banichi. They were very happy to have me home for six hours yesterday; we read and loved and played, and I gave both of them a pinch of catnip before I left. I miss them.
Today the Florida Derby will be run, and Barbaro's full brother, Lentanor (I think that's the correct spelling) will be in the running. The owners and Michael Matz, the trainer, are hoping to take him on to Kentucky for the first Saturday in May. And a rarity, an all white Thoroughbred colt, will soon make his debut at Turfway Park - his name is Arctic Bright. Putting this information in the blog makes me miss Dick Francis even more. ... Tomorrow I can check British Airways website, to see if Alexy's flight from London has been cancelled, or if it's being run. If it's canceled, I'll have to start scrambling to get her a flight back from London, hopefully in time to return to her teaching. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that her flight will not be canceled! Not much else for me to ramble on about... I hope that all of you have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: