Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Snow This Evening?

I see blue skies outside and the wind that was howling late yesterday afternoon is quiet. The weather folks say we'll have mixed rain and snow this morning, and snow after 5 p.m. At the moment, I'll believe it when I see it. I walked the red kids wearing a T-shirt and jeans yesterday, and was not chilly at all; actually, I worked up a pretty good sweat. And on our walk yesterday, an orange tabby (with whom I am not acquainted; I believe he belongs to the Buster family) walked up to within 8 feet of the Rs and I, sat down, and began to wash his nether portions. Rosie and Remy went ballistic. They both barked and howled and lunged at the cat, who never even twitched a whisker at us. While making them move on, I kept telling them that kitties don't make good doggie food, but the Rs equate cats with squirrels and they hunt and kill squirrels in the backyard. My kits really enjoyed yesterday morning and did not want to return inside from their playing; but when I shook the catnip jar, they both came running to get high. (I'm a terrible Mom, aren't I?)
Yesterday evening, Charlie (the toy poodle) was curled up asleep next to me on the sofa when Abby, the large orange cat decided to get in my lap. I guess he was startled awake by Abby - anyway, he started to lunge at her with his teeth bared, and I put my left hand in between them. Charlie latched onto my left thumb and chewed the knuckle like mad. Luckily, he's an old dog with very worn teeth, so it didn't break the skin, but my thumb ached for several hours. And I felt terribly gauche when I let Nikki out in the front yard at dusk (on her 150-foot nylon tether) and didn't look to see that a man was delivering a UPS package at the same time... it must have seemed to him that I turned her out to attack him and drive him away. He stopped and asked if Nikki was friendly, and I told him that she'd love him to death, given half a chance. So he approached Nikki with his hand out, and Nikki covered him with kisses. I apologized for my bad timing in turning her out, and he said he had several dogs himself, and that I wasn't to worry.
After taking care of my kits and Rosie and Remy this morning, I plan to clean out the refrigerator out in the garage - there are several bowls of salads that are more than a week old out there, and they need to be tossed. Honeybun slept at my feet last night, while I read a few chapters of Clive Cussler's The Silent Sea, which is a new entry in the Oregon series. His action and adventure tales haven't lost any spice or twists over the years. - Well, I'm getting ready to head back to Boulder... Oh, and about a mile from this house in Brighton, the police raided a house (that I drive by every day when I'm here) and confiscated over 200 marijuana plants that were hidden in the rafters and in various hidey-holes around the house!

No comments: