Monday, March 29, 2010

Thoroughbreds, Cats, and Beware the Rooster!

The Dubai World Cup races were run this past Saturday, with Gloria de Campeao taking home the largest purse, having won the $10 million Dubai World Cup. There was a photo of a very tight three horse finish, showing Lizard's Desire second and Allybar third (each placement by a nose); the US horse, Gio Ponti, finished fourth, a length and a quarter behind Allybar. Kentucky Derby news is waking up, with Mission Impazible (a son of Unbridled's Song) winning the Louisiana Derby; and in the Sunland Derby, Endorsement won over a previously undefeated Conveyance. This Saturday is the running of the Santa Anita Derby, and NBC will be covering the race live at 5 p.m. (EDST). It looks like this year's Derby is wide open.... and, at the moment, there is some thought that trainer Todd Pletcher might have eight entries in the starting gate.
It's in the upper 40s here in Boulder this morning; the weather folks say temperatures in the mid-60s today and in the 70s through Thursday. It would be grand if it happens! And while we're hitting the 70s, the central and northwestern ski resorts on the west side of the Divide will be getting new snow; so it'll be a good deal all around. I've left my client calendar at home, so I need to check it today, as I have received two requests from fun people. Ooch is no trouble to take care of, but I need to be sure that I'm in town to do it; and Aiko and Yoshi need to have me with them most of the time.... I'll just have to check the book and get back to the people. I get to sleep with my kits in my own bed tonight! It's like knowing you're going to receive a present... The deer herd is not in the backyard this morning, and Shady has prowled outside multiple times already, then comes to the office door for me to let him back into the house. Cloudy has yet to rise, but she was out late last night, chasing worms in the soft ground near the flower beds. I'll walk the Rs this morning, and stop briefly at my apartment (returning clothes and personal items) to see the kits and feed and love them. Alexy's plane is due in at 6:30 this evening, but it seems that with the British Airways strike, the flights are departing Heathrow about two hours late, so it might be a long night. We'll see. Then I have my last evening check up on Twister, Tinkerbell, and the gerbils. Tomorrow afternoon, I'll be heading out for Lucy, Pepper, and the chickens and rooster on Brigadoon. Melissa let me know that their rooster has become very protective of his ladies and warned me to carry the broom into the chicken coop - otherwise, I might not get eggs gathered and everyone fed and watered... I can't wait to see how the little chicks have matured into laying birds!

No comments: