Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pet Safety

Yeah, I know... It's ironic that I'm writing about pet safety after my cat died from poisoning. The idea here, though, is to remind you that critters can get into things without you knowing, or even thinking, about it. What set me off today was the news report from Sydney, Australia about a four-month old Persian kitten who miraculously survived being washed and spinned at high speed in a washing machine. The kittens' eyes were damaged by the detergent; but to what extent, the veterinarians do not yet know. Otherwise, the kitten seems to be OK. - The owners left their front-loading washing machine door open. Apparently the kitten found the dirty clothes to be a nice nest for sleeping - my cats and dogs always have, but not inside the washer. The owners tossed in more dirty clothes, closed the door and started the washer. Luckily, Kimba somehow survived.
My number one rule when I am at home or pet-sitting is: Know where your pet is. Before I start any machine, either at home, or where I am currently employed, I am certain that I know where the pet(s) is(are) located. No washing machine, no dryer, no vehicle, no oven - anything - I will not press a start button, or turn a key until I am absolutely certain that no pet is inside of a machine or an engine or any compartment... I do not leave doors to machines open, unless it is a given in that specific household - and I always check inside before I start anything. Kittens, cats, puppies, small to medium size dogs, ferrets, bunnies, gerbils, rats, guinea pigs... they are all critters that like to investigate their environments. Please be certain that you do not harm them. You, as the owner or guardian, are totally responsible for your pet's actions. Take care.

No comments: