Thursday, July 8, 2010

Canines, Equines and Felines

I've pretty much been out of the main stream of events for the past 72 hours - sick as a dog on Tuesday, up on the mountain yesterday, and today I slept late, walked the dogs, visited Dr. Shapiro, and came home and went back to bed. It's been in the low 70s today, and I've been in bed with flannel sheets and an afghan over me, and was still cold. I'm currently in sweats and wool socks; but I have to admit the patio door is cracked open at the moment, so Lovey and Neddy can play. Tomorrow all I have to do is walk Rosie and Remy and then go to see Ragtime in Denver in the evening. I am looking forward to the weekend, when I don't have anything at all scheduled. One of my clients, who frequently cancels at the last moment, has just informed me that she is thinking about acquiring a puppy prior to my next scheduled visit, taking care of her adult dog. She could not control her previous young dog, and we spent 18 months trying to find the youngster a new home (which was finally accomplished). Now, less than a year later, she wants another puppy. I don't know if I want to go through this with her again or not. I need to decide soon and let her know.
Neddy is growing apace and barely fits inside his favorite sleeping spot (a 10-inch frying pan). He and Lovey play together all the time, and if she wants to evade him, she still has four places that he cannot yet jump to. Lovey freaked out one of the last times I took her alone in her carrier - this past weekend, she was extremely quiet and content, as Neddy was inside with her. (And that certainly made me happy!) ... On the racing scene, Global Hunter won the American Handicap at Hollywood Park on July Fourth. Two strides past the finish line he took a misstep and dislocated his right foreleg fetlock - after 4 hours of surgery, his prognosis is good. .. Saturday, July 10th, the Hollywood Gold Cup Handicap will be run, with Rail Trip carrying the high weight of 123 pounds. (And Man o'War carried 138 as a 3-year-old running against older horses carrying less weight, back in 1921....) .. Zenyatta had a nice work out at Hollywood Park, as did Rachel A. at Saratoga. Rachel Alexandra is slated to run in the Lady's Secret Stakes at Monmouth Park on July 24. The Lady's Secret was originally scheduled for August 1, but since Rachel was entered, the race has been moved up in time, and the purse increased from $150,000 to $400,000. If Rachel scratches, or otherwise does not run, the 1 1/8-mile race will revert to a purse of $150,000. (To me, that somehow smells of favoritism....) ... And Pony Penning is a little less than 3 weeks away!! (Yahooo!!!)

No comments: