Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Cool Day in July

It's 56 degrees outside and rain is misting down. Today has been a wet, cool day, and I have to admit I slept in until mid-morning, as the weather precluded a hike with Grandma Anne. We also found out that a neighbor had treated her to supper last night at Chautaqua, so the family was scrambling. Anne had already planned her lunch for today, so we went up to the house on Sugarloaf around 2 this afternoon. We chatted and then played an intense game of Scrabble - Anne usually wins, but Jim skunked all of us with the word "zoo" on a triple word, and finishing with "quiche", also on a triple word score square. We visited the Carousel of Happiness and then had supper at Katmandu in Nederland. (I rode the frog and then the lion on the carousel.) We returned Anne to the Snow chalet, and then came back down the mountain.
I had found a really neat china teapot at a yard sale, and I placed a small pot of variegated English ivy in it for a gift for Anne today. I also had a small gift box full of single serving size snacks - dried fruit, cookies, chocolate, hummus, cheese, crackers and teas - that I gave her. (And I included a small bag of Temptations for Tabitha, Anne's tabby cat, too.) Kathy and Jim gave her a Dutch apple pie, and a beautiful hand decorated plate from the Scandinavian Festival. We had a very nice time together.
Hopefully it will clear up enough for me to walk the Irish kids tomorrow. Lovey and Neddy were not happy with today's rain and mist, and told me so frequently and loudly. But they were very nice warm, cuddly sleeping companions.

No comments: