Tuesday, July 27, 2010

When It Rains....

First, my friend's Mother died just before the family was getting ready to go to Europe. Then my sister's washing machine broke down. The next day, my sister's septic system backed up. Sunday, after returning from his Mom's funeral, my friends washing machine broke down. And Monday, the swamp cooler died. Every one has been the using the washing machine where I was staying. - Thank goodness it has not broken down. - I've been taking care of Yoshi and Aiko for the past week; I began taking care of the Rs last night when the family left for Europe; the Rs family used the washer and dryer all of yesterday prior to their departure; my sister used the washer and dryer until midnight. I just finished using the washer and dryer, and then moving over to the Rs house for the next two weeks. I arrived at my apartment to find a note on the door letting me know that the apartment management and the exterminators would be at my place on Thursday between 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. - that the cats need to be moved out for at least 6 hours, and that everything needs to be removed from all cabinets and drawers, bureau drawers need to be placed on the bed, and everything edible needs to be removed from the house, and that nothing should be resting against the walls or up against the baseboards, or be on the floor. Where the heck am I supposed to put all of my stuff?!?!? And I'll need to walk the Rs and the Gs (Danny and Shama) tomorrow, as well as contend with temps in the 90s both days. I guess I'll have to take Lovey and Neddy to the Rs house and lock them in the master suite for the day.... But enough griping...
Lovey and Neddy were ecstatic to see me when I arrived today. Neddy thinks he is a puppy and is chewing on the corner of my desk. Since today is my first full day with them, the Rs keep expecting me to produce treats each time they see me; it will take a couple of days for them to stop expecting jerky or biscuits with each sighting. They slept on either side of me last night. - But tomorrow is Pony Penning Day! If I were on the island, I'd be getting up at 4 a.m. so I could have a good view of the swim - hopefully in my canoe or raft. I envy the kids who will be there for the first time. I'd purchase raffle tickets for King or Queen Neptune (the first foal to finish the swim across the Channel), I'd watch the drive down Main Street, and I'd have lunch at the carnival and ride the Ferris wheel. I'd spend the rest of the day looking at the ponies.

No comments: