Sunday, August 29, 2010

Cats, Horses, and Football

I made myself buckwheat blueberry pancakes for breakfast earlier - they were delicious! Lovey has been sunning on the patio, and has just come back inside to sprawl on the cool tile. Neddy is chasing grasshoppers. Once he catches them, he brings them inside to play with; when I swept the floor this morning, I collected 8 'hopper bodies to place in the trash. ... I decided to go to bed at 10 last night, and stepped out onto the patio for the night's roundup. I called both kits and then walked back to the bathroom to put on my nightshirt. Neddy followed me, and Lovey arrived a few minutes later, talking to herself. She didn't sound normal, so I took a look at her and found she had a field mouse between her teeth. She, as usual, turned it loose in the bath tub, and I had to hurry and grab a jar to capture it in so I could release it outside before the kits got hold of it again - I couldn't guarantee that Neddy wouldn't kill it. So the mouse is happily living outside again, and the kits and I were able to settle down for a quiet night's sleep. Sammie and Tupper got added to my care list for the second weekend of September; that's the same weekend as the Scottish-Irish Festival up in Estes Park.
Mike Smith has been the jockey for Richard's Kid twice - and both times he has won the Pacific Classic on board Lemon Drop Kid's son. After winning the race yesterday, Mike said he'd like to ride the colt again next year. ... My pick for the Travers, Afleet Express, won by a whisker yesterday. And the reason I had picked him was because of his trainer, Jimmy Jerkins - his father, Alan Jerkins, was known as the giant killer because he trained long-shot winners, such as Onion, who unexpectedly defeated Secretariat. ... Mine That Bird, the 2009 Kentucky Derby winner, has been winless since that race. His new trainer, D. Wayne Lucas, will put blinkers on him for his next race, the Woodward Stakes at Saratoga on September 4.
Football... The Vikings won last night against the Seattle Seahawks. And former Gator Percy Harvin thinks that he and his medicos now have a good method of dealing with his recurrent migraines, so he shouldn't miss any more Vikings games. (I sure hope so, Percy!) ... The Houston Texans smeared the Dallas Cowboys last night. It was a debacle. ... And tonight, the Broncos face the Steelers at home. Go, Broncos!

No comments: