Sunday, August 8, 2010

Home

The kits and I have made the most of my down time since last night - we've spent most of it cuddling in bed or on the patio, with me reading and them romping. The Redwood kits were happy to see me yesterday evening, and ate every bite of their dinners; as I was cleaning their litter boxes, I heard a suspicious crinkly noise coming from the front door, where I had placed my bag for the trip home from the Rs... When I got downstairs, I found Sasquatch with his front end in my bag, and he had a mouthful of my home made brownies, and was rapturously chewing and purring. He wasn't happy that I made him stop eating my goodies... Lovey and Neddy have shown surprise that I haven't disappeared for a long period of time today - I have visited the Redwood kits, and will head back there for their supper; and I'll feed them in the morning, and then walk the Rs in the same trip. Then I'll once again have the day to spend with Neddy and Lovey - and doing laundry; but that's life.
Yesterday was a day of Championship Harness Racing at the Meadowlands. No favorites won, but my personal picks did - Hypnotic Blue Chip won the US Pacing Championship, setting a record for the pacing mile at 1:47.2; Bar Slide won the Hambletonian Oaks, trotting the mile in 1:53.4; and Muscle Massive won the $1.5 million Hambletonian in 1:51, with Ron Pierce as his reinsman. ... Concord Point, a handsome grey colt, led from start to finish in the West Virginia Derby yesterday. He had won the Iowa Derby earlier this summer. ... At the beginning of the stretch in yesterday's Whitney Invitational Handicap, Quality Road was the leader and Blame was 4 lengths back. Blame gained a little with each stride, and won the Whitney by a head at the wire. It was a heck of a race. ... Zenyatta is now a perfect 18 for 18 in her races! She shadowed the leaders for most of the Clement L Hirsch Handicap, and then simply increased her stride in the stretch, to win by a neck. ... And a very sad note - Tuscan Evening, one of the top turf mares, aged 5, ran a sharp 6 furlongs this morning in her scheduled workout, but totally collapsed as she was galloping out afterward. She apparently died of a heart attack as she finished her work. She was preparing to run in the Beverly D. Handicap at Arlington Park next Sunday.

No comments: