Thursday, August 26, 2010

Today is National Dog Day

I woke up with an upset tummy, and took medicine. When I walked out to the bus stop to get to Rosie and Remy's house, I was sick. So I came back home and cancelled their walk, and took more medicine. I hope it kicks in soon. Both kits slept with me last night - and when I awoke this morning, I had to check the TV and the computer to see if it was morning or evening; I really had no idea when it was. (I guess I should have taken that as an indication that something wasn't right with me today...) Both Lovey and Neddy are sticking rather close to me today - they apparently know that I'm a little off kilter. Today is National Dog Day - a day to celebrate one's love of our canine companions. Boulder Valley Human Society is having half-price adoptions of both dogs and cats through August 31, as a way to help those who want (and can afford) a pet to celebrate.
Anyone who has a large family knows the odd twists that genes can take; how children of the same parents can be so totally different from each other. Barbaro, who won the Kentucky Derby, then had the heart-rending breakdown and subsequent death from his injuries, has two full brothers racing. Both are trained by Michael Matz, who trained Barbaro. Both brothers raced this week: Lentenor finished third in an allowance race at Delaware Park, while brother Nicanor was the favorite in a mile plus 70 yards on the turf. Nicanor finished sixth of seven. - Certainly proof of the old adage that you "Breed the best to the best, and hope for the best." ... The two big races this weekend are the Travers Stakes (also known as the Mid-Summer Derby) at Saratoga for three-year-olds, and the $1 million Pacific Classic at Del Mar. Unless there are scratches, 11 top colts will contest the Travers at 5:46 EDT on Saturday, while 10 older horses will compete in the Pacific Classic at 4:45 PDT. Both races should be spectacular!

No comments: