Monday, October 11, 2010

Just Stuff

Yesterday was the first time since May that I got up and dressed in jeans and a long-sleeved T-shirt. It was a grey rainy day, and the high temp for ten-ten-ten was 57. Last year, however, the high was 27, with the low being 17 - so I really can't complain. I returned home from Brighton just before midnight last night, greeted and fed my kits, then just fell into my bed until it was time to go take care of Rosie and Remy this morning. I've just returned home and the kits are running in and out through the patio door. A raven has been raising Cain for the last several minutes, and I think it's fussing at Neddy.
It was wonderful to spend time with Suki and Boo this morning after walking the Rs. The red kids had a quiet morning with us, but a little after noon several squirrels started taunting the Rs - and, of course, they responded. They barked and bayed and tried to climb the trees the squirrels were in. One little fella sat out on the only tree limb devoid of leaves, and shook his tail with each bark of his own at the dogs. I found it highly amusing. Suki was her usual laid-back self, and I had to knee Boo immediately after removing the Rs' harness, as she just had to jump up on me. I am just so happy to be back home with my kits in my apartment and my own bed.
I've read several more Linda Fairstein mysteries, as well as Alys Clare. I love both of them, and thoroughly enjoy the settings - one in current day New York City, and the other in Richard the Lionheart's reign in a market town near London. I am about half-way through the first of Katherine Hall Page's series of mysteries set in Maine, but am finding them hard to read. For some reason I'm not connecting with the main character... maybe it's because she's a city girl, and I'm definitely country. But the protagonist of Linda Fairstein's books is a New York City girl, and I have no problem at all connecting with and understanding her character.... Maybe I'm just not in the right mood for a caterer/Reverend's wife/mother-of-a-two-year-old protagonist - I just don't know. All I know is that I feel as if I'm wading through the Okefenokee in trying to complete this book. I don't know if I actually will finish it...
Pleasant Tap, the 23-year-old son of Pleasant Colony, was put down today due to uncontrollable laminitis. He has so far sired 53 stakes winners, who have won over $51.5 million. ... Devil May Care, the filly who ran in this year's Kentucky Derby, was pointed at the Breeders Cup Distaff as her next race. She has been diagnosed with hepatitis, and will be on a 60-day enforced vacation. ... And Wickedly Perfect, a beautiful grey daughter of Congrats, has a bone chip in her stifle, and has had to be scratched from the Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies.
And I am still loving the South Carolina Gamecocks game this past Saturday - where they beat number one ranked Alabama - it was fantastic!!

No comments: