Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Real Find

Today is cool and breezy - the sun is shining brightly. Lovey has decided to lay across my bosom as I sit here and type and Neddy is wandering in and out of the patio door. I decided to venture into Boulder today and poke around the Red Letter Bookshop, a wonderful place crammed full of used books in every nook and cranny, on shelves and in boxes. They don't have a large selection of popular used paperbacks - they tend to have hardbacks and most of them are non-fiction, though they do have a good selection of literature. I wandered back into their children's section after about an hour of browsing - and was absolutely astounded to find a mint condition first edition of Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry with the original slip cover on it. I have to admit I whooped out loud back in that corner of book shelves. I purchased it. Now, I have the copy of Misty that Mom and Dad gave me when I was 6 - but it is a 22nd imprint edition - and I love it very dearly. It has my juvenile writing in the front identifying people that I'm related to and that my Mom knew, as well as clippings of the movie reviews for Misty, and a few still photographs from the film that Alma Beebe gave me. This first edition is just a vanity item - but one I shall always treasure!
When I look to the west these days, I see snow on the mountain tops. We've had a couple of freeze warnings, but I have yet to see frost on the ground this fall. My vacation will end a week from today - I'll be back walking Rosie and Remy on a daily basis and taking Lucy out at lunch time on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Having been so ill every day since my vacation began, I can't, as yet, say that I've missed the dogs and the walks. But I have certainly enjoyed my snuggle and cuddle times with Lovey and Neddy!

No comments: