Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Next Three Days

The next three days I will write for the most part about the 2010 Breeders' Cup at Churchill Downs. But first - the Rs, Suki and Boo, and Lucy were all great today. Neddy and Lovey are doing well. And I had no idea that Walter Cronkite, whom I grew up adoring, was born in St. Joseph, Missouri - that's a hop, skip and jump from Troy, Kansas, where my dad grew up. Hunh!
Tomorrow is the first day of the Breeders' Cup - 6 BC races will be run, all designated for the fillies and mares, other than the first BC race - the Marathon. Now, I like to look at the horse in the paddock and/or saddling enclosure before I actually place a bet. This year, however, I'll tell you who I like prior to seeing the horses on the day of their race. - The Marathon will be run at one and three-quarters miles on the dirt; there are 12 entries, and they all carry between 122 and 126 pounds. I like A U Miner and Gabriel's Hill; a friend recommends Alcomo. The Juvenile Fillies Turf is run at the distance of one miles; since all the fillies are 2-year-olds, all 15 entries carry 122 pounds each. I like Fancy Point, Together, and Kathmanblu; my friend likes More Than Real. The Fillies and Mares Sprint has 16 entries, running seven-eighths of a mile on the dirt. The 16 contenders will carry between 122 and 124 pounds each. I like Informed Decision, Sweet August Moon and Dubai Majesty; my friend likes Sara Louise and Rightly So. The Juvenile Fillies is run at one and one-eighth miles on the dirt. Thirteen fillies are entered, and all will carry 122 pounds. I would have chosen Indian Gracey as one of my favorites, but she has a sore right forefoot, and will be scratched early Friday. Therefore, my picks are: Awesome Feather, Izshelegal, and Delightful Mary. My friend has chosen Tell a Kelly and A Z Warrior. The Fillies and Mares Turf race will run at one and three-eighths miles. There are 11 entries, and each will carry between 121 and 124 pounds. I like Keertana, Harmonius, and Forever Together. My friend likes Midday and Red Desire - and he delighted in telling me that Red Desire is the grand daughter of Sunday Silence. The final Breeders' Cup race on Friday will be the Ladies Classic, run at one and one-eighth miles on the dirt. There are 11 entries, and each one carries between 122 and 124 pounds. I like Havre de Grace and Unrivaled Belle; my friend likes Life at Ten and Malibu Prayer.
There is no way that I will stand here and say that any (or all) of my picks will win, place or show in tomorrow's races - and the same goes from my friend's picks, too. But this is who I like, looking at pedigrees, jockeys and trainers - without seeing the horse, in the flesh, prior to the race. Horse racing is exciting and dangerous - and there is never a guaranteed winner. Best of luck in your betting!

No comments: