Friday, December 31, 2010

It's A Little Cool Outside - 8 Degrees (F)

All the dogs, kits, and chickens I'm caring for are fine. We actually ended up with a grand total of about 6 inches of snow for yesterday and today - a few more flurries might occur, but no measurable accumulation. It was -2 when I arose at 6:30 at the Rs' this morning. Lovey and Nedi are not even asking to go outside today, and I'm not offering. Rosie and Remy decided to "test" me last night and this morning: about every two hours, they alternated in wanting to out. Remy did go out around 2:15, but the other times, they apparently just wanted me to get up in case I might give them a treat (which I did not). The chickens and rooster weren't real happy with the snow - I did clear out about half of their run, and put scratch and feed down for them, as well as a head of lettuce. And I also brought out a full kettle of boiling water to defrost their tin waterer. Lilly was hiding because the cleaning lady was at the house this morning, but both Lyra and Dhisana were happy to be fed and not so happy to be medicated. I loved them and played with them, and then picked up Kathy and took her in to work. I was driving over to feed, love, and play with my kits.
Beulah Park in Ohio is under the threat of quarantine. Several horses shipped from there have checked out positive for the equine herpes virus. EHV-1, which can spread quickly through the air, can cause death in some cases. Its symptoms include fever, nasal discharge, and neurologic impairment Thoroughbreds in training at Beulah frequently ship to Penn National (in PA), Charles Town (in WV), and Turfway Park (in KY). Veterinarians will make their decision by Sunday regarding the possibility of a quarantine.
If you go to a New Year's Eve party tonight, please have a designated driver who will pledge (and follow through) to drink no alcohol. Tonight is a night that is celebrated throughout the world, and mainly with alcohol and good cheer - please don't harm yourselves or others. Please do not drink and drive.
From Cenedi, Leofgifu and me, a wish to you for a Wonderful New Year!

No comments: