Sunday, December 26, 2010

'Twas the Day After Christmas...

Yesterday was fun, interesting, wonderful and a tad frustrating. Kathy and Jim had long runs scheduled, so we had decided on a late brunch. I think we sat down around 12:45 for our brunch. Then Kathy and Jim, and Mike, needed to shower - having run and eaten and rested without cleaning up. We started the rib roast in the oven, after Kathy and Jim reappeared. When Mike came back out, we opened stockings and gifts, round one. The roast had to be decanted and the temperature changed, so we took a break in gift actions; at that time, Lynn called me at the Snow residence and told me a tale of woe. I agreed to spend the night with Lyra in the den last night and tonight, as she was spayed Wednesday, and yesterday morning managed to remove all of her outer stitches when Lynn took the Elizabethan collar off for Lyra to eat breakfast. Lyra made a trip to the Emergency Vet Clinic, and got staples instead of stitches. She has also been confined in the den since her operation, and it turns out she's been drinking the flower water that had the florist mixture "Stay Fresh" added to it. That gave her a wonderful case of diarrhea; and since she's wearing an Elizabethan collar, she can't clean up her hind end. I feel sorry for her. While I was speaking with Lynn, the fire and smoke alarm system went off, thanks to the roast. We finally cleared the smoke out, and finished opening presents. We sat down to supper a little after 6, and while we were eating dessert, Lynn called again. After several minutes of instructions, her cell lost signal in the mountains, and I went back to the table. Then I cared for Sasquatch and Tugger, having walked over to the Chandlers' with Mike and Mona to pen up the chickens earlier. Came home, loved and fed my kits, threw my overnight bag together, and went to Lynn's. I was surprised to find her daughter there, even though she was on her way out; and Christa informed me that her brother "should be home" sometime between midnight and two. Oh. I thought it was going to be me and the kits.
Everything else went well, and the entire family made out like bandits in the present department. - I thoroughly enjoyed my time spent with my kits, my family (and Suki, Boo, and Mona), and talking to my cousin Sarah in Wichita. All together, it was a splendid day.

No comments: