Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy 2011 !

I can't believe that it is 2011 already. Actually, I'm still struggling with the fact that we're no longer in the 1990s... Nedi just saw a snow bank (the back yard, actually) as tall as he is and decided that being on the patio was OK, but being inside is better. Lovey ran out, jumped into the snow, and is now curled up on my bosom, as I type with one hand - the other is helping hold her in place. With this nasty weather, Topgallant Charley, the rooster, has decided that I'm an OK person - after all, I deliver fresh, unfrozen food and water to the nine of them twice a day. He has finally stopped attacking me each time I step into the coop and yard. The hens all cluster around me, begging for special goodies, while Topgallant stays back and struts his stuff. ... The kits at Lynn's house have been joined by Tessa, the gazelle dog; Christina brought her back from Aspen last night, so I have Tessa added to my collection. Christina checked in with me, as I was at the house, and at some time during the evening (after I left) she closed Dhisana up in her brother's bedroom, so I had to hunt for the youngest kitten this morning. Everyone else showed up and was ready for breakfast - although Tessa really needed to go out for a while... Luckily, Lynn and the family are due back sometime today or this evening. Tomorrow, the Chandlers will return, and they will coop the crew up for the night. I will be walking Lucy today and tomorrow. And, of course, I'm still with Rosie and Remy until Tuesday night. At noon on Wednesday I'll be in Niwot for 48 hours, caring for Walt and Sophie, two elderly dogs. And starting tomorrow and on through the 20th, I'll also be caring for Ooch. (Kathy and Jim will take care of him with I'm in Niwot - luckily, Ooch is just next door to them.) And on the 10th, I move back in with Tessa and the three kits for a week.... I'm tired already!
Tomorrow is also the annual Snow Christmas get-together. It will be the first time one of the younger generation acts as host - niece Sarah and her man, Michael Fleetwood, have invited the family to their new house in a suburb of Denver. She has not yet given thought to what we should bring, or what she will supply, so I'm not certain what I'll take to the pot-luck gathering. It will be interesting.
And I am really enjoying the snow for one reason - I get a kick out of reading the tracks left in it. At the Chandlers' house, several deer have followed the trail that I broke through the snow; squirrels have crossed it multiple times; two rabbits have traveled along it; and there are a multitude of bird tracks everywhere. With the snowfall and the early dark on Thursday and Friday, I saw three red foxes and a gray fox out in the yards and along the neighborhood roads while returning from evening trips to all the homes. It's been fun, even though it is cold!

No comments: