Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sore Ear and Wildlife

Time has really gotten away from me. I can't believe that I've missed blogging for three days! I am currently at Ooch's house, and have just seen my nephew walk by with his dog, Mona. I've already talked to Lucy's owner, and have sent an e-mail to Topgallant Charlie's family. Remy's ear has been diagnosed as "chronically inflamed;" he will be placed on a restricted diet, and will be receiving Otamax and antibiotics twice a day. Poor guy! I hate it when I have an ear ache! Ooch is purring in my lap while I blog... I should be with Sophie and Walt out in Niwot, but I've been at home sleeping with Lovey on one side of me and Nedi on the other. Sophie's medical condition became much worse over the weekend, and she was sorrowfully put to sleep at her home on Monday. Walt is up in the mountains with his family. Many people in the area I call "Bird Valley" will miss this intrepid black Border Collie, who only had one eye.
The coyotes are still in the Githens Acres neighborhood. I heard them several times while I was staying with Rosie and Remy, and the bus drivers have commented about seeing them cross 19th Street. I have seen three black bears, eight fox, and the two coyotes within the past two weeks. I am hoping that with the much lower temperatures and the snow, that the bears have finally gone into hibernation. They are not normally around and about at this time of year, and they are very irritable. And, hopefully, some of the hunting laws in Colorado will soon be changed: a couple of hunters killed a 703 pound black bear, and were given heaps of praise. Then one of them admitted to having followed the bear into her den, and having shot her while she was sleeping. That's a no-no; that is unsportsman-like. Soon the Colorado hunting laws will also declare this.

No comments: