Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Wildlife Warning"

It feels very strange to me that I am the notifier for what is now being called the Githens Acres Wildlife Watch. I definitely love the Githens Acres neighborhood, and that is where a majority of my house- and pet-sitting responsibilities are. But I live 3 miles to the south, and I'm not always in the neighborhood - apparently that doesn't matter to my friends and clients living in GA. People who live there call and/or e-mail me with information regarding the fox, coyotes, and deer in the neighborhood; and the occasional spotting of a mountain lion, bears, and other unusual wildlife. I send an e-mail out to all of my friends and clients in and around Githens Acres as soon as possible, so that they can keep a loving and caring eye on their cats, dogs and chickens. With the death of the 16-point buck, I found myself as the representative for the neighborhood with the Colorado Department of Wildlife's Officer Kristin Cannon, who was very interested in the amount of deer remains we find throughout the year in the neighborhood. - She hadn't realized how wild and natural that area is. - I now have a list of 20 families that I contact with a "Wildlife Warning" notice.
The forecasters have been wrong recently - they have predicted snow three times, and we haven't received a flake. They currently say that we'll be in the low 50s for highs through Saturday, and to expect snow (again) on Monday. We'll see. I thought that Kathy and Jim had gone to Phoenix to run in the PF Chang Marathon there - I was totally wrong. They went to San Diego (and ran in a Marathon along the beach), and enjoyed weather in the 80s, and a day of whale watching out in the Bay. I picked them up from DIA yesterday afternoon, came home and collapsed with the kits. We still have snow on the ground, in the shade, and packed on shady roads, from this past Wednesday's afternoon storm. Lovey, Nedi, Rosie, Remy, Suki, Boo, Mona, and Lucy are all fine and dandy. Other than dog-walking, I'm not scheduled for anything until 5 February (a week at the Thore house with Tessa, Lilly, Lyra, and Dhisana), and then at the end of the month, I'll be with Finn and Skipper for 10 days. I also have to call Dr. Pohlman and set up another surgical session (oh, joy!) for me.... I hope the rest of your week is marvelous!

No comments: