Monday, February 7, 2011

Peter the Great, Ads, & An Accident

I watched the Superbowl at Lynn's house, and was pleased that the Packers won the game, even though I was also rooting for two Steelers players (Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor). It was 12 degrees outside when I returned home. It's 18 outside now, the sun is shining and we're expecting a high around 40 degrees. Then another snow storm arrives tonight - the weather people say we're looking at 4 to 6 inches of snow overnight and during Tuesday, with a high in the low teens for Tuesday and Wednesday. Even though yesterday was Superbowl Sunday, the local sports news was all about hockey... and I'm excited about the news, too. Peter Forsberg was signed last night to play again with the Colorado Avalanche. He is handsome, Swedish, and plays the center position - he's been rehabilitating a crushed foot for the past 7 years, and is now back. Hooray for the Fozzie Bear!
While I thoroughly enjoyed the football game last night, I also watched to see the commercials. I won't comment on the trailers for new movies and TV shows that were introduced last night - but I will list my top 5 favorite ads. My favorite was the Coca-Cola ad with the fire-breathing dragon, whose fire turned into fire-works and confetti after drinking a Coke; my second favorite ad was for Bridgestone tires - the driver, the beaver and the washed-out bridge. My third choice was the western Anheiser-Busch Budweiser commercial featuring the rearing front hitch of Clydesdales, and the song "Tiny Dancer." Fourth would be the Coca-Cola border guards, and fifth would be the Bud Light ad with the dog-sitter using the dogs as "hired help" for a party. For me, the honorable mention would be the Doritos commercial where the guy suddenly starts sucking the other man's fingers to get the cheese residue off them. Anyway, those are my favorites...
And, just a reminder that a loose dog can cause an irreparable accident. A woman here in Boulder has a 4-year-old Airedale terrier; 99.9 percent of the time he is on a leash when outside, even just to walk to the car. The dog pushed out of the door when company arrived, and was out of the owners' sight, running free, for about a minute. An elderly neighbor, whom the woman had known all her life, was knocked down by the dog in the few seconds it was out of sight. The elderly neighbor broke her hip when she fell. The injured neighbor and her family had to choose between her being in a wheelchair for the rest of her life, or a hip replacement. They chose the hip replacement. But - the elderly woman was taking a blood thinner to prevent clotting, which could cause either a stroke or heart attack. Her doctors had to stop her blood-thinning medication to perform the hip surgery. The elderly neighbor died from a heart attack, caused by a blood clot a few days after her fall and before the surgery. - Please think about your neighbors of all ages before you allow your dog to run loose. I only turn my charges free when I am in a fenced-in area. Please do the same with your pet.

No comments: