Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Westminster Dog Show

Time is passing so quickly that I hadn't realized that it's time for the annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show held at Madison Square Gardens in New York City. This past weekend breeders and handlers have been busy trying to win a coveted Best in Breed award. This year there were six newly acknowledged breeds at the AKC show - two new hound breeds, the Bluetick Coonhound and the Redbone Coonhound; the Icelandic Sheepdog in the Herding Group; in the Sporting group, the Boykin Spaniel has been added; and two new Working dogs, the Cane Corso and the Leonberger. Last night, the Best of Breed in four different groups met head to head in the showdown for the Best in Group. Tonight, the Group winners for the Sporting, Working, and Terrier Groups will be decided. These top seven dogs will vie tonight in the Best of Show (shown on the USA TV network). Last night these breeds won their Group: in the Toy category, the Pekingese; in the Hound class, the Scottish Deerhound; in the Non-Sporting Group, the Chinese Shar-Pei; and, in the Herding Group, the Bearded Collie. I'm going to be torn - watch the dog show or watch NCIS. ... Help!
Lovey spent last night sleeping on top of me, and this morning she keeps running back inside and crying - as if that insures that I'll still be here. Nedi spent last night attached to my left arm - he was nursing and kneading all night long. Today all I have scheduled is walking Rosie and Remy, and walking Lucy. This afternoon/evening, I hope to speak with my friend Carolyn in Florida. I'll watch USA and/or CBS for a while tonight, then read, and snuggle with my kits. It's nice to be back home.

No comments: