Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Windy Day

Here in Boulder, the wind started last night and continued throughout the day; winds blew between 25 and 40 mph, with gusts up to 70 mph. It made walking a chore. Add to that an accident in one of the local buses, and you've got a good idea of my day. I was on my way to walk the Irish kids: I took the Jump bus to the library and returned 4 books, then walked the 3 blocks to the bus station, and boarded the 204. The bus was parked in it's pick-up zone, with the engine turned off. Pete, the driver, waved me on and asked when I was baking more goodies for the drivers.... I answered as I sat down, and then Pete reached for the engine start button. Then the bus was nudged to the right. A new driver, on probation, did not turn wide enough from 14th Street onto Walnut. He clipped the left rear corner of the 204. It made a very small scratch on the rear of the bus that I was on, but the front of the other bus was crumpled, torn and broken. I know that today was the last day the new driver was employed by the First Transit company. Pete went into the bus station, as soon as he made sure all of the passengers were OK, and grabbed his supervisor. We had to wait until the next north-bound bus arrived to continue our travels. So Bill was my driver up to the Poplar stop... Pete was still filling out forms when we left, poor guy.
The kits have had a nice afternoon, and I enjoyed my short walks with Tessa and Lucy, and playing with Lyra, Dhisana and Lilly. With the wind so high, the Rs got a reprieve (as did I). ... Horse news.... It was confirmed this morning that the two horses who died in the Newbury walking ring died from electrocution. The electric cable has been turned off, disconnected, and physically removed from underneath the paddock. Racing will resume on Saturday. ... On the US Triple Crown trail, Tapizar is out with a chip in his knee; Boys at Toscanova has not been willing to run, and has been given a vacation at the farm. Uncle Mo is the current Derby favorite.

No comments: