Saturday, March 12, 2011

Zenyatta's In Foal!

It has been confirmed that Zenyatta is in foal to Bernardini - there will be monthly ultrasounds to check on the foal's development. ... Life at Ten was the second favorite in betting for the the Breeders Cup Distaff this past fall; before the race began the jockey reported live to Jerry Bailey that the mare "did not feel right," and the news team sent that clip immediately to the Stewards' Room. Jockey Velasquez did not tell the gate master that the mare wasn't well, nor did he report it to the veterinarian on call at the gate that the mare wasn't well, nor did he ask anyone to contact the Stewards. Yesterday the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission released their findings in the Life at Ten incident. The KHRC found that there was probable cause to believe that both Velazquez and chief state steward John Veitch were in violation of racing regulations in connection with the Life At Ten situation. Life At Ten, owned by Candy DeBartolo and trained by Todd Pletcher, finished last in the Ladies’ Classic as the second choice at odds of 7-2. Life At Ten had no run when the field left the gate, and she was not persevered with throughout the 1 1/8-mile race. Before the race, Velazquez told retired jockey Jerry Bailey, who was assisting with the ESPN coverage of the Breeders’ Cup, that the filly did not look right, but did not relay those concerns to the stewards or any KHRC veterinarians. The day after the Ladies’ Classic, Pletcher said it appeared that Life At Ten had an allergic reaction to Salix, a bleeder medication she was treated with prior to the race. The lawyer representing Velasquez says that the findings would fail legal scrutiny, and that the jockey is being used as a scapegoat. - Now, I do not know the legal ins and outs, but I think that once the jockey made that comment to Jerry Bailey on a live, world-wide television broadcast, that he is in the clear. I do not think that he should be held in any way accountable. Of course, that is just my opinion.
The sun is shining and there is only a light breeze today. The Lefthand Canyon fire is under 25% containment, and the fire fighters hope to have 50% containment by this evening. Some folks who were evacuated from their homes have been allowed to return. But the fire is still burning, and the breeze reeks of wood smoke; and we're having a respiratory alert for those people suffering from COPD (me included).
Lovey and Nedi were ecstatic to see me this morning - and Lovey keeps running across my body and presenting her heinie to my nose every few minutes. She loves me, and wants me to know it. Nedi is having a blast rolling around on the cement patio and grinding dust into his coat - he's just like a little boy in that he is not happy unless he's dirty. I need to head back over to Lynn's - I left Lilly outside in the back yard, while Dhisana and Lyra are inside and Tessa is in her kennel. I'll let the kits out in the backyard under my supervision this afternoon - it will be their first authorized adventure. Lyra ran out on Lynn while I was at the house Thursday afternoon, before Lynn and Ed left for the mountains. Lynn sent Tessa out to "round up" Lyra, which meant Tessa chased Lyra around the yard several times before she gave up. I went out and sat on the studio porch and ignored Lyra (or acted as if I was ignoring her), and she came right up to me, so I was able to get her back inside the house without a problem. Those young grey girls are fast!

No comments: