Friday, April 8, 2011

Nedi's Lame

I have been looking forward to starting Catherine Coulter's Split Second - and I charged into Barnes and Noble to purchase said book, so that I could begin reading it last night. Boy, was my face red when I found out that the book won't be released until July 5! But that's OK, 'cause I have plenty of other books to read. The Irish kids were super today, and I had a good chat with Lucy's owner. Lovey and Nedi were very active this morning before I left to walk the dogs, and seemed to be thrilled when I let them out again once I returned home. But, while I was leaving a message for a friend, Nedi came charging in on three feet, with Lovey right behind him. So they've been grounded most of the afternoon. I have examined Nedi's right front paw as closely as I can, and can't find any cut, thorn, or bite. But his little foot did swell up a bit - I think he was stung by a bee or a wasp. His foot is back to normal size, but he is still limping a bit... I think what was so odd was that Lovey knew something was wrong with him, and she wouldn't leave him alone, even though he hissed and struck out at her. I think she remembers that Banichi left us a year ago today. Is it my karma? Lovey's karma? Or is Nedi going to follow in Banichi's path? If he has a temperature, swelling, or anything weird in the morning, we'll be visiting the Emergency Vet. > The Crystal Fire is still burning to the north of Bouler, and three new fires have cropped up south of us, in Jefferson County. The town of Evergreen, a setting in Diane Mott Davidson's mystery books, is being evacuated. In the last 100 years, there have been an average of 3 wildfires in April; the count this year is at 30, and it's just the 8th of the month. > Horses. A.P. Indy, the super racehorse has been pensioned from stud duty. He covered 25 mares this year and none of them are in foal. The stallion is 22 years old. ... To Honor and Serve, who ran third in the Florida Derby, is out of contention for the Triple Crown with a suspensory ligament strain. Premiere Pegasus will undergo surgery this weekend for his fractured cannon bone. Jaycito has been scratched from the Santa Anita Derby tomorrow due to a bruised foot. The big three-year-old races tomorrow are the Wood Memorial, the Carter Stakes, the Illinois Derby, and the Santa Anita Derby. ... Jockey Jean Crueget, who rode Seattle Slew to his Triple Crown victory in 1977, hasn't ridden a competitive race in 15 years. He wants to ride a filly at Keeneland this month, at the age of 72. Kentucky racing officials have stated that Crueget will need, essentially, "a permission slip" from a physician stating that he is physically and mentally able to compete on the track while in the saddle. > I totally enjoyed watching Ken Burns' The Civil War on PBS this past week. I was, however, a little put off by a national magazine complaining that the series was being "shown for the umpteenth time." Dummy me, I hadn't put together that this Tuesday is the 150th anniversary of the first shot of the Civil War being fired at Fort Sumter. All I know is that I've been getting some strange looks as I walk down the sidewalks and in stores; because the series has put a lot of the old Southern songs back in my mind - Dixie, Goober Peas, The Bonnie Blue Flag, and Lorena - and I find myself wandering about humming and singing the songs. Let me tell you, people singing in Boulder is not unusual, but when the lyrics include: "and let another rousing cheer for Tennesssee be given; the single star of the Bonnie Blue Flag has grown to be eleven. Hoo-rah, hoorah, for Southern rights hoo-rah...." one can garner some very strange looks. > Have a great weekend! (And, go, Tiger, go!)

No comments: