Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cats, Dogs, Fires, Horses

Yesterday afternoon we were hit with high winds and lightning storms.  Lightning started two more wildfires to the north of us, near Lyons; and a suspicious fire began in the City of Boulder's Park along Boulder Creek (firefighters think a cigarette started it).  The fire at the park was quickly contained and put out; the Maxwell Fire in Lefthand Canyon is 95% contained; the two new fires at Coffinrock and Blue Mountain are both growing.  Due to our heat and dryness, outdoor fires and fireworks have been banned through July 7.  Gas grills are allowed, and only the licensed fireworks shows will be permitted.  Fines start at $500 for fire and fireworks violations.
I found out that Lucy does not like thunder storms; she crouched against me throughout the three storms that rolled through yesterday.  Lynn Thore's daughter is leaving for the 4th of July weekend, so I will be caring for Maggie May Barrera, Lucy, and all of Lynn's critters (plus the red kids) throughout the holiday weekend.  (At least Lynn has offered the use of her van - especially since I am to take Christine to DIA Saturday, then pick up Lynn and Ed from DIA on Tuesday evening!) I walked Rosie and Remy early this morning (at 8:15); Remy kept on yawning throughout our walk. ... Lovey, Nedi and Mocha were all very happy to see me this morning.  I fed and loved them, then cleaned the litter boxes, and sat down to write the day's blog...  Lovey keeps running back inside and talking to me.
I started reading the first book of Sharon Green's "The Blending" series yesterday evening.  I did not want to put it down and go to sleep last night - but I did.  Now I need to find copies of the next volumes, so I can keep on enjoying the story!  I need to go to the library, too: I need some new books to read to all the "kids" I'm caring for these next twelve days!  ....  And Animal Kingdom, the winner of this year's Kentucky Derby, will not race for the rest of the year.  The vets thought he had a small fissure at the top of his left hind cannon - later X-rays show that he has a slab fracture above the fissure. - Ouch!

No comments: