Thursday, June 16, 2011

This Is "News?"

Anyone who knows me well will tell you that I am definitely not a "main stream" consumer or news reader. When I read something about J-Lo, I have to think for a few seconds before I realize that the article is not referring to my great-grandfather (his name was James Loren, and the family called him J-Lo back in the 1880s.) I do not watch any of the "reality" or competitive shows on the airways - unless you consider Jeopardy! to be one of those types of shows... And today's situation comedies are puerile pap aimed at teen-aged boys with raging hormones.... Yuck! Other than local news and weather, Jeopardy!, and NCIS, I watch PBS, the History Channel, History International, and (mostly) Encore Westerns. In reading today's entertainment news, I saw something referring to "J-Lo", and after all these years, I'd guess that is Jennifer Lopez; Sly Stallone was a name I knew; and the name Sheen, I would guess refers to Charlie - but those were the only names I knew. I guess I'm really out of touch....
I also saw two items about plane travel: in one, a"well known" author was removed from the plane because he was cussing up a blue streak, and using the "f-word" with great frequency; the other was about a college football player who refused to pull up his pants to cover his boxer shorts, he,too, was removed from the plane. My thoughts? I would not want to be on a plane, for any amount of time, with anyone who cannot speak clearly without using the "f-word." - Please ban that author from all of my flights! And, secondly, the young man who boarded the plane with the waistband of his jeans just above the backs of his knees... Give me a break! The man was asked several times by air company employees to pull his pants up and cover his underwear. The young man's mother states that the young man "had just attended a funeral and was full of raw grief." Did he attend the funeral with his drawers down around his knees? I don't think that is respectful of anyone. The young man should have been approached by an air company employee long before he got on the plane, perhaps as soon as he presented his ticket(?), and informed that "courtesy to all" was a rule, and that other folks might not want to see his undies. If he wouldn't pull up his pants, then he shouldn't have been allowed on the plane, period. Oh, well.... Thanks for reading my diatribe!
And poor Florida has over 300 wildfires burning right now. I feel for all the folks and critters that live there! ** Last night there was a raccoon in the back yard, and this morning, a fox! - The critters are returning!**

No comments: