Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Critters

Picked up Ed and Lynn in the middle of a rain storm yesterday.  I had driven to DIA by going east on 36 to Denver, then heading east on I-76, then I turned onto 96th Street, Tower Road and Pena Boulevard.  There were a few traffic slow-downs along 36 and then merging onto I-76, but the rest of the time I was able to fly along at the speed limit.  Ed drove us back, taking the Toll road, and having a blast at being able to legally drive at 75 mph again.  When we returned, I went to the Barrera house and then Lucy's house.  Walking back to the Barrera's, I saw Lynn outside hosing down a throw rug.  It seems that Tessa had an upset tummy while I was on my way to Denver....   Maggie May has been a real sweet heart, as have Tensington and Haku, the rats.  I do have to comment that Haku drinks almost twice the amount of water that Tensington does... his bottle was empty this morning, and when I held it up to him, he drank half of it again at once.  I think Kevin will need to keep an eye on his water consumption for a week, and then let a vet know how much he's taking in. It seems an awful lot for one small-to-medium sized rat....  Lucy still misses her family badly.  Since I don't  have Lynn's crew to deal with, until a week from now, I can spend more time with Lucy.  She really is a people dog - and with the family gone, and Terence gone for 12 hours a day (or more), she's just not getting the attention and love she needs and deserves. ...  Rosie and Remy were eager to walk this morning, and Rosie only barked twice before we left the house.  Amazingly, Remy never made a sound this morning (he usually barks his head off in greetings).  Even though we left the house at 8:10, it was already warm out.  We stuck to shady streets for today's walk, and I planned ahead so that we'd cross three creeks during the walk, so the red kids could drink.  Remy drank at the first two; Rosie laid in, swam and drank at all three.  Then a utilies worker stopped his truck and got out and admired them, so they were all very pleased.
My kits were talking to me through the door before I could get both locks open this morning.  I loved and played with and fed all of them.  Chokie knocked on the door a few minutes after I arrived home and gave me another bag of food that Coffeepot had brought over for Mocha.  Lovey has come inside several times, just to be convinced that I am still here.  Nedi has nursed on both of my arms, and is currently hunting dragonflies in the back yard.  Mocha is in my second desk chair, giving herself a bath, now that her tummy is full.
My surgeon has informed me that we're now going on to the next type of surgery to try and get my fistula to heal.  On Tuesday, July 19, he will place a "Seton stitch" in the fistula itself... he has informed me that it's a much more painful operation than what has been done before, and that every 7 to 14 days, I'll have to go into the office and have him tighten the stitch. And that the tightening is going to hurt like *@^#!!! - but there is a 85% recovery rate for people who have to go on to the Seton stitch operation.  And it will take 4 to 6 months to finish this procedure.  The alternative, if the Seton stitch doesn't work, is to have the sphincter muscle cut through, which would mean I'd be incontinent for the rest of my life. Oh joy, oh joy....

No comments: