Friday, July 15, 2011

My October Trip Is a GO

I just purchased my airline tickets and made reservations for a rental car for my Florida visit in October.  I'll fly out of Denver on Tuesday, 25 October, and return from Jacksonville on Tuesday, 1 November.  And I got a 25% discount since I'm using Enterprise Car Rentals -   I am really looking forward to seeing all my friends in the Sunshine State!  Ya-hoo!

We had several more rain showers yesterday afternoon and evening - Boulder Creek did not flood at my apartment, but the seasonal creek on the east side of Jim and Kathy's property once again spilled from its banks, and covered about 15 feet of Topaz Drive with about 18 inches of swiftly running water.  Fourmile Canyon residents again had to run for higher ground due to the rainfall and debris from last fall's wildfires.  A couple of families had banded together and placed a 10-person camping tent on the top of a crag behind their houses - they were lucky.  Someone called and told them that another 4-foot-wall of water was heading their way.  They got to the tent in time to watch their sandbags hold up pretty well.   I called and asked Kathy if the creek had "roared" as it came through the night before last, when it flooded three blocks of Topaz.  She had to admit that she and Jim didn't know, because they had been called up Boulder Canyon to open the Silver Lake Irrigation Ditch's side spills to lessen the amount of water flow into Boulder itself.   She said that Boulder Creek was literally black from the cinders, ashes, and burned items that were washed downstream from Fourmile.  I know that the gooey muck was covered with fine black silt again today....

Rascal, Shady, Cloudy and Rosie and Remy have all been cared for and walked, or groomed, this morning.  Alexy is due home around noon today, so I brought all my gear back home.  It turns out that today and tomorrow will be extremely hectic for the Rs' family, so I'll be stopping by to spend time with the red kids, and walk them, after each of my next three visits with Rascal.  Lovey is trying to "tempt" me away from the keyboard - she is walking back and forth on the desk, rubbing herself all over my chin, nose and glasses, and talking.  Nedi is draped across the back of the love seat.  Mocha is stretched out on the tiles in the kitchen.  The weather folks say highs in the upper-90s and near 100 degrees through next Tuesday, with a good chance of thunderstorms every afternoon and evening.  I just hope there's no power outage during my surgery on the 19th!

Enjoy your weekend!  (No one else can...)

No comments: