Sunday, July 3, 2011

Third White Buffalo Calf

On May 12, on a ranch near Greenville, Texas, an American bison gave birth.  Both of the parents are the usual brown and black color one sees across the West.  Lightning Medicine Cloud was born during a thunder storm; he is a white buffalo calf, but is not an albino, having dark eyes and skin.  According to Native Americans, this calf is only the third white bison calf to have been born.  More than 2,000 Native Americans (mostly Lakota Sioux) appeared at the ranch where the calf was born for his naming day ceremony. Medicine men and warriors performed ceremonies to bless this rare occurrence.  The ceremonies took hours to perform and the heat of the day was intense - more than three-quatrters of the white crowd who came to observe left very early, leaving the native tribesmen.


I spent last night with Maggie May, the rats and fish.  At 10:30 p.m., I made a last trip around to take Lucy and Tess out to use the bathroom before bed-time, then took a shower and collapsed. (Having spent time with Rosie and Remy between 5:30 and 7 p.m.)  I got up this morning at 5:30, took care of Maggie, et al, and then went to the Thore house, where I fed and loved the cats and the dog. Then I took Tess out for a walk.  Once she was finished, I visited Lucy, walked and fed her, and then cleaned up the messes she had left for me.  Cathy told me that Terence would care for Lucy while he was home - but he leaves by 8 a.m. each morning, and usually doesn't return until between midnight  and 3 a.m.  So Lucy is alone a lot, and cries when I arrive and also when I leave now.  I feel terrible.


The kits were happy to see me this morning - and I was so anxious to see them and get inside that I forgot to unlock the deadbolt, and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the door open...  I need to clean the litter boxes and get back to North Boulder.  But I'd much rather stay here and play with the kits and read and nap...  so goes my holiday weekend!

No comments: