Saturday, August 6, 2011

Go Wildcats!

Yesterday evening, the North Boulder Wildcats played the champion team from New Mexico in Waco, Texas.  At the bottom of the fourth inning, things were not looking good for the Wildcats, being down 6 to 2.  But the boys rallied and scored 5 runs in the fifth inning, and won their first Regional Tournament game with a score of 7 to 6.  They play again at 6 p.m. both tonight and tomorrow night.  Go Wildcats!  Go Aidan!  Go Chandler Clan!  -  The band has done it's work and MeyToch is now a gelding.  He is still a short, stocky little guy, and I love the way the hair on his spine stands up - it's almost like a wild boar's dorsal stripe.  Sunbeam, on the other hand, has long and graceful legs, and looks every inch the prima donna.  Sunbeam has the typical Roman-nosed goat face, while MeyToch has a dished face, like an Arabian foal.  Sunbeam's collar was making a groove in her neck, so I removed and loosened it, then replaced it this morning.  MeyToch's collar is a little on the large size, but his horns keep it from popping over the top of his head.  And MeyToch has finally put me and the hanging chair back together - as soon as I sit down in it, he comes running and wants a hand-out.  I really love the sound of little goat hooves on a sandstone patio!

Rosie and Remy looked terribly guilty when I returned from taking care of the Chandler critters and gardens this morning.  I looked and saw they had grabbed a styrofoam box that had held the chicken from my supper last night - Lemon Chicken from the China Gourmet.  The box was empty, because the kids had eaten the leftovers with their rabbit for breakfast, so I wasn't worried.  But they knew they had done something wrong - when I entered the house, they had both looked at me, dropped their tails, and went out  through the doggie-door and onto the deck.  I just picked up the box and carried it out to the recycling bin; never said a word to them.  When I came back inside, they both greeted me with wagging tails and prancing feet.  - A true case of  "out of sight; out of mind."  ....  I saw Kathy walking Suki and Boo early this morning.  Boo seems to be doing extremely well; she had her 13th day of radiation therapy yesterday, and then has the final five next week.  She looks good.  Suki is a great-grandmother; the breeder had a party last night for the new litter of puppies - 7 of them, all in good health.

And I had not realized that actor, director, and writer John Huston was born in Nevada, Vernon County, Missouri, just like my grandmother.  John was the son of actor Walter Huston and roving reporter Rhea Gore, and he was born in Nevada in 1906.  There is a story floating around that John Huston's grandfather (which one?) had won the town in a poker game.  Somehow, I can't see that happening....

No comments: