Monday, August 29, 2011

Irene and Critters

I finally feel as if I can heave a sigh of relief regarding Assateague and Chincoteague and Hurricane Irene.  I have not yet been able to find photos from either place showing damage or flooding, but I'm sure that some will appear soon.  The only photo from the area that I can find is of a large tree that fell across Pungoteague Road between Keller and Pungoteague:
It has been amazing to watch the video that shows historic covered bridges in Vermont being washed away by wildly flooding rivers.  I do know the power that water can generate, and I've always held it in awe. Irene, you have certainly proved to others that rain and wind are immensely powerful opponents.

On Saturday, Uncle Mo lost the King's Bishop Stakes by a nose to Caleb's Posse.  Stay Thirsty won the Travers Stakes over Rattlesnake Bridge, while Shackleton finished a disappointing eighth out of ten.  On the west coast, Acclimation won the Pacific Classic and The Factor won the Pat O'Brien Stakes.  The Breeders Cup Races are only 9 weeks away.

Nedi surprised me by avidly slurping up a mango-pineapple smoothie this morning.  I thought it would be too acidic for him...  I was wrong.   Lovey is crunching up some Party Mix Beachside treats on the end of my desk, while Mocha is watching an old western on TV.  I have already walked the red kids and the Shih Tzus and have taken care of Alexy's kits.  It'll soon be time for me to head back in their direction.  I need to finish tidying up the kitchen before Alexy gets back from London, and move my overnight gear over to the Munsinger house.  Tomorrow I'll walk the little guys, walk the red kids, walk to my shrink appointment, visit my kits, and then drive Kathy and Jim to the airport, as they leave for Alaska tomorrow evening.  It's taking them a while (longer than expected) to wean Boo off her pain and nausea medication after her radiation therapy, so I'll be there every afternoon while Kathy and Jim are gone, to give Boo her reduced 2 p.m. dose of meds.  Mike will be giving her the morning and evening doses while his folks are gone.   -  With Colorado setting record high temperatures  every day this past week, it seems hard to believe that it's almost September!

No comments: