Friday, September 30, 2011

A Lazy Friday for Me

I have spent today idling about the apartment and at the public library.  When I got up, I checked my e-mail and found a message from Rosie and Remy's folks saying they were taking the red kids for a walk in the mountains this morning.  I admit I went back to bed for another 2 hours; then got up and answered the e-mail.  I loved and fed my kits, then wandered to the bakery and purchased an apricot danish for breakfast.  Got back home and let the kits outside to play.  But they wanted to stay near me, inside - so I sat on the sofa and read.  I went to the library at 10, when it opened, and came home with 11 new books to read.  I started to read one, and fell asleep, with Lovey in my lap and Nedi at my feet.  I didn't wake up again until almost 3 this afternoon, so I fixed scrambled eggs, toast, and sausage for an afternoon brunch.

I stopped by to fill Kathy in on some family things, but she was just too busy to have time to talk at Sunflower yesterday.  So I asked her to call me and came back home.  She called a little after 7, and I filled her in, and then went on to say that I was watching the British edition of Antiques Roadshow, and that I would highly recommend Person of Interest at 8 on CBS.  She watched  - and I was amazed when she called after the show to tell me how much she liked it.  We both missed the teaser for next week's episode because we were talking - but she hung up in time to see all of The Mentalist.  I watched a few minutes of it, then curled up with a book (and cats) in bed. 

And in Birmingham, England, a jury took five hours in deliberation to find a woman guilty of burglary.  The woman in question had separated from her husband three days previously. Her husband, John Hemming, a liberal Democrat MP, has had a relationship with Emily Cox, a researcher, since 2005.  Last September, closed circuit TV cameras show Christine Hemming crawling on her hands and knees below window sills at Emily Cox's home. She entered through the home's back door, and the CCTV cameras filmed her leaving  about three minutes later with a grey tabby kitten stashed under her arm.  Beauty, the kitten, has not been seen since. MP Hemming says that Twinkle, Beauty's brother still misses her, and searches the house several times daily, seeking his sister.  The accused says she has no idea how she came to be holding the kitten when she left.  She also said that she tried to place Beauty under and/or through the fence of a neighboring house when she realized she was carrying it.  Christine Hemming is now serving 5 years on a burglary sentence, for stealing the still-missing Beauty.

No comments: