Saturday, September 24, 2011

Stuff

I watched two new TV shows this week - both on CBS - and enjoyed them.  I must admit that I liked Person of Interest better than A Gifted Man; I wasn't crazy about "Ghost Whisperer," and I have the feeling that my interest in A Gifted Man might well drift away quickly.  But Person of Interest has several little quirks written into it that will probably manage to keep my mind piqued.  We'll have to see.  -  And I was able to find pints of Schweddy Balls at Sunflower Farmers Market, where Kathy works.  Ummm-mmmmmm!  Tastes great!

The kits are all outside on the patio; Mocha is in a corner, under a chair, while Lovey and Nedi are sprawled out on the concrete in the sunshine.  I really love my kits.  They keep me going even when I get upset with the rest of the world.  Lovey has slept on top of me all week, and Nedi and spent quite a bit of time in bed with me, also.  Mocha gets her love on the sofa, and, occasionally, on the desk, when Lovey and Nedi are outside.  ....  Six of my colleges are having their games broadcast today, so I'll be enjoying myself watching football from just after lunch until almost midnight - what a way to relax!

Horse headlines haven't been great recently, other than reports of good prices at the yearling sales.  Rahy, a superior stallion at Three Chimneys Farm, has died.  ....  Awesome Again, the 17-year-old stallion at Adena Springs Farm, has just returned home from colic surgery earlier this month.  The vets say that his outlook is "cautiously optimistic."  ....  Banned, a handsome bay colt by Kitten's Joy, has recently won three graded stakes on the turf.  He went out to the track, worked a half-mile, and broke two sesamoids in his right ankle.  He is having surgery today, but the vets say he has only a 20% chance of surviving after the surgery.   ....  Tizway was the expected betting favorite for next week's Jockey Club Gold Cup on Saturday.  He has spiked a fever, and will not run.  Now, he's being trained specifically to race in the Breeders Cup.  ....  And a four-year-old filly was working in the early morning at Penn National Raceway earlier this month.  She broke down, shattering her foreleg.  She was immediately removed from the track via a horse ambulance.  But there was not a veterinarian anywhere near the race track.  The poor thing had to suffer for almost an hour until a vet arrived to put her to sleep.  Due to this, having a vet at the track any time horses are being worked is being looked into.  (Personally, I thought there was always a vet at the tracks.  I was definitely wrong.)  I feel for that poor filly....

No comments: