Saturday, November 12, 2011

All Shook Up

I had a terrific time last night.  I went to a high school production of All Shook Up - a musical that uses 24 Elvis Presley songs, and is set in a small town in the Midwest in 1955.  I really had a blast because I knew all of the songs, and because my friend, Max Silverman, played one of the major roles.  I had ordered our tickets (Kathy, Jim, and me) via the high school's on-line box office, just asking that we sit together.  We sat in the third row, and were able to see into the orchestra pit, as well as having a fantastic view of the stage.  -  I know I'm getting old, as the audio was, on occasion, a bit too loud for me.  (I really do think that the younger generations have ruined their hearing by listening to their music at such a high volume!  I hate getting onto a bus or plane, where someone is listening to their iPod or MP3 player with earbuds, and I can clearly hear their music.  That's just too loud!)  -  In any event, Max played the role of Jim, Natalie's Dad, in the play - and gave us an excellent performance.
After the show, we ran into Joel and Nancy, and congratulated them on their son's acting and singing. 
I remember that when I first met Max, he was in middle school, and was about 5 feet tall - I looked a little down to see into his eyes.  (Max also had a sign posted that said that if you didn't like large, slobbery dogs, you should leave.  -  He was referring to Rosie and Remy, my weekday walking companions.)  Max is now a junior in high school, and is about 6 foot two inches tall.  What amazed me was that, after seeing his parents in the post-production madness, he focused on me and gave me a huge hug - in front of all of his groupies....   That young man really knows how to make someone feel special!  I awoke this morning with Elvis songs tumbling about in my head, and my kits have been astounded by my renditions of several songs this morning.  Maybe I need to go see musicals more often!

No comments: