Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Books and Pancho

The sky is clear to the east this morning, the sun rose without a pretty show because there were no clouds.  There is a small cloud bank sitting behind the Indian Peaks, to the west, but it is the only cloud visible.  The Indian Peaks have about half of their snow cover, as does Mount Audubon.  The weather folks are now saying the snow will start Wednesday night, with a high Thursday of 22, and a low Thursday night of 6 degrees.  Supposedly we'll be back in the 40s during the weekend.  ....  I haven't yet received word about Remy and his X-rays.  I'm guessing that if my instructions have changed, I'll either find a note at the house, or one of the owners will be there to let me know.  Lovey and Nedi again snuggled close to me all night long; I'm beginning to feel as if I shouldn't leave them alone anymore...

I finished reading Clive Cussler's The Race yesterday.  I really like the character Isaac Bell, and his exploits are always daring.  Being able to read a well-researched novel regarding the development of airplanes, and a cross country race, was great.  I learned a lot, and had a great read at the same time.  I started reading the fifth Virginia Lanier mystery last night - Ten Little Bloodhounds.  This wonderful author was only able to produce six books before her death, so I'm trying to extend my enjoyment of her books, knowing there won't be any more.  And, with the recent death of Anne McCaffrey, I feel the need to revisit her Pern books.

One of these days (maybe) I'll learn to stop talking out loud to local wildlife.  I had a man give me a very strange look when I spoke to  a pair of ravens (parent and child); the man gave me a wide berth as he passed.  Then, as I was approaching the doors for Safeway, my local grocery store, I recognized a squirrel I feed (he only has half of his tail - my kits bit the other part off when he was a baby).  I made my usual "tch, tch, tch" sound, and didn't think about it more, as I walked into the store.  Luckily, my friend Joy was working at the Starbuck's booth just inside the building, because she had to tell me that the squirrel had followed me inside.  I turned around, and, sure enough, there was Pancho crouched about ten feet inside the door.  Joy handed me a piece of a bagel, and I managed to convince Pancho to sit outside and eat.  Then the little rascal followed me home when I had finished shopping, and got peanuts, too.  - I guess I shouldn't have clicked at him on my way in....

No comments: