Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Vacation Is Over

Wow!  I had a tremendously wonderful time while I was in Florida!  I need to thank Kathryn, Mary, Jack, Mama Davis, Rusty and Dave, Carolyn and Greg for making my week away from my kits a fantastic adventure!  I also need to thank Apollo, Nova, Too-too, Pierre, Shiney, Oscar, Amy, Odie, Fancy Fax, Easy, Red, Bella and Dandy for being such loving and caring critters for someone who was missing hers!  (Now I'll stop using the exclamation points...)
I left a nice, warm Boulder early on Tuesday morning, and arrived in a very warm Jacksonville that afternoon.  Yesterday, I left a nice, balmy 78 degrees in Vero Beach, and arrived to 41 degrees and old snow on the ground in Boulder.  It snowed last night, so I was greeted by 6 inches of white stuff this morning - and it's still falling.  The kits have gone out and played in it - and I've had to towel them dry.  Lovey and Nedi were very happy when I arrived yesterday evening, and they both stuck to me like glue throughout last night.  (I leave to spend 3 nights with Finn and Skippy this evening - and I know the kits will be upset about it.  But I will be back for several hours each day until I return Saturday afternoon.)  I need to remember that CU is having a home football game Friday night against Southern Cal...  Poor Buffs!  (And I won't even mention this past weekends' football...  It was awful!)
I had a super time visiting friends, and Fancy Fax, this past week.  I was amazed to hear that one of the horses I had helped deliver and train was still alive and kicking at Sleepy Hollow.  The owners informed me that Fancy Fax hadn't been ridden in 5 years, but asked me to saddle her up and ride by the house, so they could see me mounted on her again...  Fancy Fax wasn't real happy about that, but I got her to agree - after all, the last time she had a rider on her back, she was all of 21.  I had about an 8 to 10 minute ride on her, and made sure that Dave and Rusty had a good view of the mare they had bred.  We turned, circled, stopped and backed in front of the picture window at the house.  It was like old times, when we were all young.
I got to spend a day with my "adopted big brother," Jack Carter, and we had a great time wandering around Cedar Key, playing on the kids' swings and slides at the park, talking, and just poking around.  Jack was able to show off the house that he had built all by himself, and to take me around his butterfly and bird garden - not to mention showing all the wonderful items he makes himself these days.  It seems odd to realize that I've known Jack for 46 years.  I still think of myself as a teenager and Jack in his early 20s....  But we laughed just as much, and joked just as much, as ever.  He is a most delightful man!
*** Don't forget that the Breeders Cup Races are being televised for 9 hours on Friday and Saturday, (ESPN and NBC) live from Churchill Downs. ***

No comments: