Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Calliope

I watched in awe last night as Nedi leapt from the top of the cat tree onto a raggedy white mouse (toy), walloped it, and sent it flying down the hall, and then grabbed it in his mouth and deposited it in the bath tub.  When I got up this morning, the mouse was still in the tub, but its head has been removed.  Apparently Nedi was busy last night while I slept....  We have bright blue skies today and it's 30 degrees outside.  The weather folks say Denver will be at 50 degrees for the Broncos' game, while Boulder will be in the upper-40s. The kits have been outside playing for the last 90 minutes, and I finally got both to come in at the same time, so I can close the door and remove my sweater.  According to the 5 day forecast, we should have lows in the 20s and highs in the mid-40s for the rest of the week.
I have to admit that while I was transcribing family records last night, I had the GOP debate from Iowa on.  I laughed out loud several times - because what was said was funny, and because what was claimed was unbelievable.  I have to admit, listening to the GOP snipe at one another was cathartic, and I was happier than ever to be a Democrat. 
There was one bright snippet of news that perked me up - a Calliope hummingbird was spotted by several folks in Easton, Maryland last week.  They've recently had warm weather, and people were surprised to see a Western hummingbird over on the Eastern Shore.  They have normally migrated to South America at this time of year.  Calliopes have been seen, singly, on the Eastern Shore for the last seven years.

No comments: