Sunday, February 5, 2012

Good Luck, Eli, and the Giants

It's bright and sunny here; and it's 19 degrees outside.  I have the patio door open about 12 inches, and I'm sitting here in jeans, socks, and a T-shirt.  The kits seem to be disgusted by the fact that there is still more than 20 inches of snow in the back yard - at least the sun's heat on the patios has created small melts where our patio walls jut out, so the kits can run up and down the apartment block.  Both kits have jumped out into the snow, sunk, and have come blasting back inside for me to towel them (mostly) dry. Nedi is still out on the patio, soaking up sunshine; Lovey is sitting on the corner of my desk, making comments.  (I have Meet the Press on, and every time Newt Gingrich pauses for breath, Lovey meows at him.) Oh, and we officially had 24.5 inches of snow from Thursday night through Saturday noon.  A couple of miles above Nederland, our closest ski resort, Eldora, received over 31 inches of snow - and yesterday they ran out of parking, and had to turn people away.
  Last night I was trying to follow a set of sisters and brothers who married in the late 1800s in Missouri.  The sisters were Barbara Allen Snow and Oddie Pauline Snow; they married brothers John S. Colley and Elijah Walker Colley.  The brothers were sons of a man also named Elijah Walker Colley.  Ancestry.com has Oddie Pauline Snow marrying her father-in-law (who died when she was 2 years old) and having seven children.  Most of the LDS records show Barbara marrying John in 1887, and then John marrying Oddie in 1895 - they are wrong.  I had to pour over the US Census for 1880, 1900, 1910, and 1920 , and local county records, to finally get all the wrinkles ironed out....   You know I collect certain names that just "stick" in my memory; I think I'll be adding Oddie Snow Colley to Hepzibah Starbuck Hussey and Eliphalet Pease.
  I am looking forward to the Super Bowl this afternoon (kick off is at 4:30 here), and I'm looking forward to the new ads.  I hope that my cheering for the New York Giants and Eli Manning doesn't adversely affect them.  It'd be cool for Eli to win a Super Bowl on his brother's home field!

No comments: