Friday, February 17, 2012

Looking Forward

I awoke this morning, dreaming that a hot comb was being pressed into my scalp.  It wasn't a comb - it was Oly's teeth.  She had gotten in bed with me and was grooming my hair.  I've been licked by large dogs many times in the past - but this was the first time I've had one groom me.  I had put the kids in the doggie room last night, which has a pocket door; I guess I didn't close it completely, because when I awoke, Oly was in bed with me and Annie and Bentley were on either side of the bed.  Their owner said they like to lay on the velvet sofa when they are unsupervised, but I think they were looking for company and know that I'm a "soft touch."
  Yesterday, as I was packing to leave, Lovey saw me put my alarm clock in the bag, and immediately came and sat on my left shoulder, talking away about how I shouldn't leave her.  It was a little difficult to grab and pack the other items I needed, but I managed to accomplish it, without making Lovey dismount.  When I got home this morning, both Nedi and Lovey greeted me at the door, ate like they were starved, and then went out to play.  It's not yet above freezing, but the sun is shining, and we're expecting snow again either Sunday or Monday evening - depending on how fast a front moves.
  I was very happy to read that Allegiant Airlines is now flying a direct route between Orlando, Florida, and Salisbury, Maryland now.  It only flies twice a week, currently, but it's nice to know there's now a direct flight to Salisbury (it's the closest airport to Chincoteague Island - other than the NOAA station at Wallops and the old NAS Chincoteague airstrip).   ....  And I was sorry to read that Dutch Prince Johan Friso (the second son of Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands) was caught in an avalanche in Austria, and is now in stable, but critical, condition in a nearby hospital.  The Prince was buried by the snow, and was resuscitated by rescuers.  Johan Friso is not in line for the Dutch throne.
  The 2012 Summer Olympics are in London, England this year, and the Opening Night Ceremony will be shown live on Friday, July 27.  The equestrian events will be held at Greenwich Park, almost 200 acres of green space in southeast London.  One has fine views of the River Thames, the Isle of Dogs, and the City of London from higher points in the park. The park stretches along a hillside and is on two levels. The lower level (closest to the Museum, Queen's House and, beyond them, the Thames) lies to the north; after a steep walk uphill, there is a flat expanse that is, essentially, an enclosed extension of the plateau of Blackheath.  Roughly in the centre, on the top of the hill, is the Royal Observatory, where Greenwich Mean Time is measured. To the north is the National Maritime Museum and Queen's House, and beyond those Greenwich Hospital. To the east is Vanbrugh Castle. To the south is Blackheath and in the south western corner is the Ranger's House, looking out over the heath.  (And, yes, I've been there.)
  The 2014 Winter Olympics will be held in Sochi, Russia, on the Black Sea.  The citizens voted for a total of three mascots, one associated with each type of medal; they are the polar bear, the winter hare, and the snow leopard.  One will probably also see a snowflake and a golden ray of light used in association with the Winter Games.  I have made a new friend, who grew up in Sochi, and I look forward to hearing more about this city and it's people.

No comments: