Monday, February 6, 2012

My Super Bowl Ad Critique

It's 23 degrees and sunny here - but it's 13 degrees in Denver.  The sun and natural evaporation caused the snow to "shrink", or compact, to only about a 10-inch deep cover in the back yard.  Nedi is out bounding through it, and coming back in to shake the excess snow off his legs and belly.  Lovey is sitting in the cat tree and observing the birds and squirrels outside.  We are expecting more snow beginning this afternoon or evening - with snow flurries continuing through noon tomorrow.  We might get another 2 to 3 inches of accumulation.  As soon as I get this posted, I'll be heading out to walk Remy and Rosie; I'll be wearing my snow boots and my Yak Trax.
  I was happy to see the Giants win the Super Bowl, even though it was difficult to root against Brandon Spikes and Aaron Hernandez.  I have to say that the half-time show did not hold my attention - I checked my e-mail and visited the necessary room.  Because of that, I got a few glimpses of Madonna, but I totally missed M.I.A.'s "up yours" gesture - and I'm fine with that.  I have to admit that the ads this year were a great disappointment.  I liked the 2-minute Chrysler ad with Clint Eastwood; I liked the music of the H & M ad for David Beckham's underwear; I had to laugh at the Tax Act ad about the little boy having to relieve himself.  The Coca Cola polar bear ads were charming.  I guess my favorite ad would be the Bud Light ad about the rescue dog named We-Go.  The Pepsi ad with Elton John (who was the only person I recognized) left my mouth hanging open.  Maybe if I had ever seen the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", the Honda CRV ad with Matthew Broderick might have struck a chord - but it was fairly boring to me.  Having seen the VW ads well before the program itself, they were disappointing.  I have to admit I enjoyed the Doritos ad with the dog who buried the cat and then paid off the male owner with Doritos, after showing him a note that read, "You didn't see Nuthing."  I figured out what would happen with the Doritos Slingshot baby as soon as I saw the springs....
  Maybe now that the football season is over, I'll get back to my critter tales...   I will leave you with the URL to a fantastic web site: http://www.wvec.com/eaglecam   If you enjoy nature and birds, this is a superior site that originates from the Norfolk (Virginia) Botanical Garden.  On the left side of your monitor is a live feed from cameras looking at an American Bald Eagle nest; on the right is a moderated chat room that can, and will, describe anything and everything about eagles, their prey, and their life cycle.  It's a great way to enjoy a day!

No comments: