Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fools Day

All sorts of silly and outrageous stories have been told about the beginnings of April Fools Day - but, honestly, there is no real, true story behind why we celebrate being a fool on the first day of April.  I do  know that someone (or something) had a good laugh at my expense this morning - all week I've been gathering the daily roosting poop of the 9 hens, and putting it in a bucket.  Today, I decided I had enough to open the compost bin (a large, plastic, revolving barrel, with a hinged door/hatch) - so I opened the bottom latches, and raised the door to dump the poop inside.  The top hinges popped open, the door fell on my left shoulder, and I was suddenly covered in partially composted, wet, runny, chicken poop.  What a great way to start (a) Palm Sunday and (b) April Fools Day!  The 9 hens have produced 3 dozen eggs over the last week, and I have given all of them away to Topaz neighbors....
  Lovey and Nedi are very loving, but I apparently didn't get all the chicken poop off my left arm, as they both continue to sniff it and flare their noses and open their mouths in flehmen.   They have been extremely loving this morning, and ate every bit of their canned food from breakfast.  I'll need to feed them more before I leave to go back to the doggies and other kits....  But tonight I get to sleep in my own bed!  How marvelous!  - Of course, I have to get up and leave quite early to care for the Wessell dogs and the hens, etc, and Ooch - and then go see my therapist.  But in my own bed with my own kits...  how wonderful!
   Union Rags was the favorite for yesterday's Florida Derby (and is/was the early favorite for the Kentucky Derby,too), but he finished third behind Take Charge Indy and 31-to-1 longshot Reveron.  I like Michael Matz, Union Rags' trainer, but I just can't like the horse...  The Evergreen Wildfire is 90% contained this morning, and the search for the missing resident has been called off, as human bones have been found in her house.  That makes three people killed by the fire, which began as a "controlled burn" by the US Forest Service.  ....  And mega-runner Micah True, of Boulder, has been found - or, actually, his body has been found near the Gila Ruins in New Mexico.  True was last seen on Tuesday, going out "for a run" - but he never returned.  It is reported that there are no obvious causes of death.  
    We have broken high temperature records most of this past week, and are expecting to do so again today.  The highest on record for today is 78, and we're expecting 84 (or more).  BUT.  But, we have a lot of wind today, as a front is coming in late tonight and early tomorrow morning.  After having the driest March ever recorded, we might get scattered rain or snow showers tomorrow morning, and possibly, again, Tuesday morning.  That would be stupendous.  We need the rain/snow badly.  Usually, at this point in time, our snowpack measurements for the summer season are at 100 to 200% (last year they were at 218%) - this year, we are at 64% for the Platte River area, and only 54% state-wide.  If we don't get precipitation, we'll be on water rationing this summer and fall.  But, hey, a high of 84 today, and a high of 48 tomorrow - that's Colorado for you!
   GO  JAYHAWKS!

No comments: