Saturday, April 14, 2012

More About April 20

The University of Colorado, Boulder campus, will be closed to the public next Friday to, hopefully, stop the great Smokeout.  Besides closing the campus to public parking, and having security all around, they have announced that folks without clearance will be ticketed for Trespassing - which carries a fine of $750 and a 60 to 120 day jail sentence.  It sounds as though CU means business this year. 
   As I wrote last night, I am for legalizing marijuana. It is pervasive throughout society, and throughout all 50 states, and all of the territories we protect.  Why not make it legal and tax it the way the government taxes cigarettes and cigars?  The government would then be in charge of agricultural directives for the correct manner in which to grow the crop, and for the harvesting, curing, cleaning, and making of the smokes.  -  One of the things I find interesting about humans in general, is that they find something they think is "good" and then they go overboard with it.  The tobacco the Native Americans smoked, mixed with kinnikinnick, is not the tobacco that people around the world smoke today.  Today's tobacco plants originated in South America, and are (or were) 200 times more potent than what was being smoked by the natives of North America.  It was soon found that you got a higher nicotine rush from the South American tobacco, and people in Europe wanted that type, not the mild North American kind.  So South American tobacco is now pervasive throughout the world - and is the type now grown in the United States. -  This is probably what would happen with the legalization of marijuana, I think.
   It's mid-April now; and the Kentucky Derby is three weeks away, on May 5.  Today there are three Kentucky Derby prep races being run - the Calder Derby, the Arkansas Derby, and the Blue Grass Stakes.   So far, there has been no clear front-running winner to be declared the favorite for the Derby, but the betting public is still supporting Union Rags.  I'll make my picks after today's races.  There are also two graded steeplechase races being run in the US toady - the Georgia Cup Hurdle, run at 2 miles, and the My Lady's Manor Timber Stakes, run at 4 miles.  I wish I could see both of the 'chaser races!
   My kits were excited to see me this morning, as usual.  It is currently bright and sunny out, and the kits and I are enjoying the sun's warmth. I spent the night with the Thore tribe - Dhisana slept on  my legs and feet all night, while Tessa slept next to the bed.  Lyra spent a good part of the night trying to open the closet doors, and finally gave up.  I take care of Ooch today - his owner will return around 9 tonight; and I start taking care of the Clark kits, Sasquatch and Tugger, tonight.  The Thore house still has no hot water, and, as a result, no heat.  The pump in the fish pond is not working correctly.  I informed the owner of this by e-mail and voice mail yesterday, but haven't heard anything back.  At least the back fence is almost complete...
   The reason I mention the heat is because we were at 34 degrees this morning - and we have a storm coming in tonight.  We're expecting rain, sleet, and snow this evening and tomorrow morning.  The owner is due home on Monday, when the high is forecast at 44...  It will be interesting to hear what she says.

No comments: