Wednesday, April 18, 2012

On the Eighteenth of April in Seventy-five...

Two hundred and thirty seven years ago, tonight, Paul Revere began his ride to warn members of the Provincial Congress, in Concord, that the British Army was advancing to try to arrest the leaders - Samuel Adams and John Hancock.  Revere set off on one route, while William Dawes was sent by Dr. Warren via a different way.  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote the poem about the "Midnight Ride" in 1860, and it was widely praised when it was published. It was published first in January 1861, and Longfellow wanted the poem to engender feelings of nationality, and to put focus on a national hero, in hopes of helping to deflect the civil war to come.  Longfellow ignored some facts and misrepresented others, but the result is a rich and rousing story.  So, hop on your horses, Paul and Billy - tell the folks that "the Redcoats are coming!"
   Yesterday morning, while walking to the bus stop, I glanced to the west and was surprised (why, I'm not sure...) to see the Indian Peaks and Mount Audubon gleaming under a bright snow cap.  This morning, I looked and was disappointed to see the usual browns and greens over more than half of those same peaks - that's how fast the snow melted yesterday.  It seems surreal.  ....  Sister Kathy's orthopedic MD has told her she can't return to work for 4 weeks, and she is unhappy about it.
   Someday I will remember how quickly my kits can get into trouble.  I walked over to the grocery this morning, and, since it was quiet out, I left the patio door open about 6 inches, and left the kits wandering in and out.  Upon my return, both cats were jumping around in the bathroom; as I walked by I glanced over my shoulder and thought it was odd that my brain registered Nedi perched on top of the bathroom door.  Then the word "perched" hit me....  I don't know if the kits caught the young starling and brought it inside, or if it somehow flew (or was chased) through the curtain and into the apartment.  I got both kits out of the bathroom and closed the door. Then it took me three minutes to gently capture the creature - it wasn't bleeding anywhere, and no wings were broken, and it had all of its feathers - so I carried it out and turned it loose in the backyard.  The kits are still searching the apartment in hopes of finding it.
    Today I'm heading over to walk Rosie and Remy, then Boo and Mona.  I also need to see if Kathy wants or needs anything, especially to see if she needs me to drive her into Sunflower  and present her letter from her MD regarding her necessary time off...   It'll be an interesting day!

No comments: