Thursday, May 3, 2012

Friday's Kentucky Oaks

I've been running around so much that I haven't yet eaten my supper - but I did make the time to look at the field of 15 fillies entered in tomorrow's Kentucky Oaks - the girls equivalent to the Kentucky Derby.  There are four fillies that I like - three on pedigree and one just on her looks.  The first girl I like breaks from post 1 (on the rail, which might make her winning more difficult), her name is On Fire Baby; and she's a grey or roan daughter of Smoke Glacken, out of Ornate.  The second filly is Summer Applause, a bay, who breaks from post 3; her sire is Harlan's Holiday, and her dam is loaded with Man o' War blood: Summer Exhibition.  The third pedigree I like belongs to Believe You Can, a dark bay or brown filly; by Proud Citizen, and out of El Fasto, breaking from post 9.  I simply like the looks of Jemima's Pearl, a bay filly, breaking from the 8 position; she is by Distorted Humor, and is out of  Jemima (GB).
   My favorite mare currently racing in the US will be running in the Distaff Turf Mile in race 8 (before the Derby) on Saturday - her name, is, of course, Daisy Devine.
   I enjoyed my time with Peach today - I visited her three times this morning, and will continue to do so through Sunday.  She is a very sweet 14-year-old yellow Lab.  ...  My kits were excited when I finally got home this afternoon; they were happy to go out and play in the yard, having been cooped up all morning and half of the afternoon.  Besides caring for Peach, I walked the red kids, and then walked Boo and Kathy, and then we figured out a way for Kathy to wash her hair at home, with minimal help.  Then I braided her clean mane back up, and came home, arriving at 3.
   After I eat my supper and drop off my rent check, I'll look at the 21 colts running in the Derby.  I'll blog about it tomorrow....

No comments: