Friday, May 18, 2012

Poudre Canyon Fire; New Market Re-Enactment

The wildfire near Fort Collins in the Poudre Canyon area (being called, officially, the Hewlett fire) has now spread to over 7,300 acres, and is only 5% contained.  Some folks who were evacuated from their homes have been allowed to return, while others are still on stand-by, in case the fire blows in their direction.  It's a pretty morning here, and I'll soon be heading out to exercise the Irish kids.  Lovey decided to accompany me to the bakery this morning - she trotted along beside me until we reached the front corner of the building, then she retired to an area of planted bushes.  I went in and quickly purchased my breakfast, then rejoined my adventurous girl, and we returned home.  I don't think she would have followed me, if I hadn't seen her about to jump a baby bunny, and said, "Lovey! Don't kill any more babies!"  She looked startled, and then picked up a trot so she could join me.  My kit believes she's as good, or better, than any dog.
   When Jeff and I lived in Crows, we weren't that far away from New Market, the home of the Virginia Military Institute.  More than 1,000 Civil War re-enactors are packing their hardtack and wool uniforms for the 148th anniversary of the Battle of New Market.  The re-enactors will gather this weekend on Virginia Military Institute's New Market Battlefield. VMI says it is the oldest battle re-enactment in the nation and one of the few held on the original site.  During the real battle, VMI cadets entered were under the command of Confederate Gen. John C. Breckinridge. His 4,000-man army included 257 cadets. They went on to defeat Union forces totaling more than 6,000.  Weekend activities include historical interpreters who will provide a civilian perspective on the era. The battle re-enactment is scheduled for Sunday.   I miss going to see Civil War re-enactments - my favorite was the Battle of Olustee in Florida.
   We're supposed to have rain during the weekend.  I hope that Larimer County gets plenty of rain and no lightning! (Of course, we're expecting thunder and lightning storms with high winds this afternoon and evening, too.)

No comments: